If you are unable to use a handheld leaf blower because of your age, your frame size, or due to health problems, then getting a backpack leaf blower could be the best solution for you.
Even if you are perfectly healthy and strong, a backpack leaf blower is still a much more comfortable and convenient option than a handheld one in most cases.
Backpack leaf blowers are designed to be comfortable and ergonomic to wear, because they remove the weight of the garden tool from the hands and arms, and balance it on the back, the core, and the rest of the body instead.
With a good quality backpack leaf blower, you can move around on uneven or uphill terrains much more quickly and safely than with a handheld one, or with a wheeled tool.
Also, many of the backpack leaf blowers are so well-designed that they can be used by just about anyone, including petit ladies, older people, or people with mobility issues.
Here are the top best backpack leaf blowers you can buy in 2020.
This high-quality gas-powered backpack leaf blower is designed to use as little fuel as possible, and emit minimal harmful emissions during use.
It is powerful and yet lightweight, and comfortable to carry on the back. The leaf blower is also comfortable and easy to control and handle thanks to the offset handle and intuitive cruise control.
- Powerful gas-powered X-torque engine with a 2.1 HP output, 180 MPH, and a maximum speed of 7500 RPM
- 2 cc cylinder displacement and fuel tank volume of 42.27 fl.oz.
- Made to reduce the harmful emissions by 60% and the fuel consumption by 20%
- Thanks to the offset handle you can control the blower’s direction and settings easily and comfortably
- It has an idling speed of 2200 RPM
- Low vibration dampeners separate the chassis and engines for a more comfortable operation
- The backpack harness system is ergonomic and has a hip belt for a better balance of the weight, and adjustability to any body type
- The blowing tube can be adjusted in length for maximum comfort
- Cruise control for the fan speed and easy-access controls
- An in-housing airflow of 692.17 CFM
- An air purge system for easy starting
- The dimensions of the leaf blower are 79 x 19 x 19 inches, and its weight is 22.5 lbs.
- Its noise level can reach up to 104 decibels, which can be too loud for some people
If you live in a rainy or humid area, you know how frustrating cleaning those leaves and debris out can be in the fall.
With the Echo PB-580T backpack leaf blower, you can say goodbye to these problems and ensure that your backyard, sidewalk, or driveway are nice and clean with minimal effort.
This professional-grade leaf blower is designed to be well ventilated when using it in hot weather and also can lift and remove even the wet leaves and branches.
- A gas-powered, pro-grade backpack leaf blower, which uses 50:1 gasoline to oil
- 22 cc 2-stroke engine with a blowing performance of 215 MPH and 510 CFM
- The throttle is mounted on the tube for easy access and control
- The backpack is vented, for breathability and comfort when using the tool in hot weather
- A high grade air filter for increasing the longevity of the engine
- There is a leaf guard filter which will prevent overheating of the blower if it gets clogged with leaves
- There is a protective metal ring on the end of the tube for increased sturdiness
- The tank is see-through, so you can monitor the fuel level
- It offers an easy start
- It has an anti-vibration design
- A noise rating of only 70 decibels
- The weight of the tool is 22.6 lbs.
- Its size is 12.9 (D) x 19.3 (H) x 18.5 (W) inches
- It requires little maintenance
- It is more expensive than some of the other backpack leaf blowers on this list
The best bang for the buck
The Poulan Pro PR48BT backpack leaf blower is one of the best deals you can find in 2020. It has a maximum speed of 200 MPH or 475 CFM and is lightweight and ergonomically designed, and it costs less than many of the other tools in this range.
This durable leaf blower is suitable for people of all ages and sizes thanks to its comfortable design and the lightweight materials used.
- This is a reasonably priced, powerful backpack leaf blower
- It weighs 22 lbs. and its harnesses are designed to be easy and comfortable to carry and use by people of all ages and body types
- The tool is powered by a 48cc 2-stroke engine with a maximum performance of 475 CFM and 200 MPH
- It has convenient cruise control and easy to access controls and throttle speeds on the tube
- The size of the device is 13 x 17 x 17 inches
- It can remove leaves, sand, branches, manure and other debris easily
- Users have been complaining about difficulties in regard to finding services for needed repairs and replacement parts
The rest of the best backpack leaf blowers for 2020
If you have a large outdoor area which you need to clean up from leaves and debris, then you may want to invest in the powerful Husqvarna 570BTS backpack leaf blower.
This machine has a maximum power output of 236 MPH, and can move all kinds of debris, not only leaves from your outdoor space. It is heavy duty and yet comfortable to carry on your back and use.
- The most powerful of this backpack leaf blower Husqvarna series
- It is powered by a 2-cycle X-Torq engine which uses 20% less fuel and emits 60% less harmful gases during use
- Blowing power output of up to 236 MPH
- 0 HP output and up to 8,000 RPM maximum power speed
- An ergonomic, wide and padded harness which helps balance the weight so you can use it for hours without strain or fatigue
- 2-stage air filtration intake allows for use even in the dustiest conditions
- Thanks to the AirPurge feature, the air is removed from the fuel system and the carburetor for easy starting every time
- The tool also has a LowVib system for added comfort and safety
- Easy to use, and to control via the adjustable cruise control
- It is 21.75 x 21.25 x 21.25 inches and weighs 24.5 lbs.
- A heavy-duty tool which can move just about any type of debris from your outdoor space
- It has a sound level of 110 decibels, so you may want use hearing protectors
It is one of the lightest ones on this list and weighs a mere 14.7 lbs.
Still, it is fully capable of blowing away the fallen leaves and debris and allowing you to keep your sidewalk, driveway or yard nice and clean.
- Very light weight of only 14.7 lbs. suitable for smaller people, older people and others who have problems with lifting and carrying weights
- A maximum blowing capacity of 145 MPH, 7,500 RPM, and 360.21 CFM, which is sufficient for average leaf cleaning, gutter cleaning and for landscaping
- It is powered by the patented 2-cycle X-Torq engine with the same reduced harmful emission exhaust and increased fuel efficiency like the more expensive and powerful Husqvarna products on this list
- The engine is 29.5 cc with a power output of 1.13 HP, and a fuel tank volume of 28.74 fl.oz.
- Easy to access and use cruise control
- An air purge system helps remove the air from the engine for easy starting
- The length of the blowing tube can be adjusted
- The size of the blower is 69.5 x 17 x 15 inches
- It is offered at an affordable price
- It may not be powerful enough to handle bigger jobs, wet leaves and for moving larger debris
With the Troy-Bilt TB4BP, you can easily move around your yard or other outdoor space and reach into even the hardest to reach corners thanks to its clever flexible tube design, and its ergonomic backpack harness with a suspension system.
It is a powerful, comfortable to wear and use, and well-built garden tool which will help you keep your backyard in a pristine condition with minimal effort.
- Powered by a 32cc 4-cycle engine which delivers an airspeed of up to 150 MPH and an air volume of up to 500 CFM
- The ergonomic harness features a multi-tensioned suspension system and a comfortable padded hip belt for even weight distribution and fatigue reduction
- The backpack also has a Coolflex feature for breathability and air ventilation to keep you comfortable even in hot weather conditions
- The blower’s tube is long and flexible, so you can reach to those hard to reach corners, under the car or garden furniture, and move around with ease
- It has a JumpStart feature, so there is no need for pulling cords for starting the engine
- Cruise control and easy access to the variable throttle controls
- The dimensions of the tool are 21.31 x 19.44 x 16.06 inches, and its overall weight is 21.8 lbs.
- It is sold with a 2-year warranty
- It does require regular maintenance
This is another excellent backpack leaf blower from the Husqvarna series, which is worthy of your attention.
It is powerful, easy to start and use, and is energy efficient and as eco-friendly as possible.
This leaf blower has a vibration-proof suspension system, and easy to use controls so that you won’t feel any discomfort or strain even after prolonged cleaning and use.
- A 60% emission-reducing and 20% fuel saving X-Torq engine with 2.15 HP
- The 50.2 cc, 2-cycle engine produces a maximum air volume of 434 CFM and up to 251 MPH of air velocity
- There are dampeners which reduce the vibrations from the engine and chassis of the blower
- The power switch resets to an ON position for easy starting
- You can choose between the throttle speed via the convenient cruise control on the blower’s tube
- An air purge system removes the air from the engine and carburetor for easy starting
- The tube can be adjusted in length easily
- The fuel tank is 42.27 fl.oz.
- Ergonomic and cordless design for easy use and landscape cleaning
- The size of the tool is 50 x 20 x 15 inches, and it weighs 22.5 lbs.
- No electric start and the pull cord takes some practice to get used to
Its brushless motor is almost as powerful as the gas-powered ones, and the tool has a variable speed trigger and an added turbo option when you need a boost in power for harder to clean out debris and leaves.
- The leaf blower is battery powered, so it has zero emissions and is much quieter than the gas-powered ones
- The brushless motor can deliver up to 580 CFM and 145 MPH of blowing power and volume
- There is a turbo button and variable speed controls which are easily accessible on the tube’s cruise control unit
- There is almost no vibration when the blower is in use
- The tool is sold with a 4-year warranty
- The size of the leaf blower is 22.4 x 9.4 x 18.1 inches, and it weighs 8.12 lbs. without the battery, and about 12 lbs. with a battery
- It works with an 80V rechargeable battery (not included)
- The battery power may not be sufficient for moving large volumes of leaves and debris or cleaning up large outdoor areas at once
- You will need to purchase a battery and charger separately for this tool
The Echo PB-8010T is a professional backpack leaf blower which is the most powerful of all the tools on our list. This beast of a tool is designed and built to move large volumes of leaves and debris all day long, and is one of the sturdiest heavy duty backpack leaf blowers you can buy in 2020.
- A 79.9cc 2-stroke pro-grade engine
- A fuel capacity of 83.8 fl.oz, and a see-through fuel tank
- Maximum airspeed of 211 MPH and 1071 CFM
- It produces only 80 decibels of sound
- The tool features a carbon fiber frame which is very sturdy and yet light in weight
- The throttle controls are located on the tube for easy access without having to remove the tool from your back
- The fan circulates the air for cooling your back during use
- It has a metal wear ring to increase the longevity of the tube
- The blower pipes are 3.6 inches in diameter for maximum airflow
- The filter is easy to remove for cleaning and maintenance, without any tools required
- The tool weighs 24.5 lbs. with an empty tank
- Its backpack harness is designed to be comfortable to wear for all-day use
- A 2-year commercial and a 5-year consumer warranty
- It is more expensive and heavier than most of the other leaf blowers on this list
This is another premium quality, commercial range backpack leaf blower which can handle all kinds of garden and landscape cleaning jobs.
The Schroder SR-640L Industrial Leaf Blower is sturdily built and comes with a 5-year commercial warranty, so you can rest assured that your money is well spent and will be covered in case of need of repairs. The manufacturer also offers a 45-day money-back satisfaction guarantee, so you can actually try it out and then decide whether or not to keep it.
- A powerful 2-cycle, 3 cc motor, with 3.7 HP which can produce an air sped of up to 230 MPH and air volumes of up to 920 CFM
- It comes with two different nozzles, an added starter handle, and other tools for maintenance
- It is easy to assemble and easy to start
- It is suitable for moving large volumes of wet and dry leaves and covering large areas
- A size of 22 x 19 x 18 inches
- A weight of just 19.5 lbs. with an empty tank
- It comes with free shipping, a 45-day satisfaction guarantee, and a 5-year warranty
- The harness straps do not fasten across the chest
Features to look for when buying the best backpack leaf blower
Backpack leaf blowers are among the most highly sought for leaf blowers because of their power, their ergonomics, and their ease of use on all kinds of terrains.
Since a good quality leaf blower is usually quite a serious investment, you will want to choose the best one for your needs carefully, if you want to ensure that it can handle the tasks you are buying it for properly and easily, and also to ensure that you will be using it, again and again, year after year to clean out your outdoor space, or for other needs.
Here are the main features to keep in mind when shopping for the best backpack leaf blower:
The power source
Gas-powered or battery-powered – this is one of the most common questions asked by people searching for the best leaf blower for their needs. Both types are cordless, which is a huge plus when cleaning your backyard, driveway, sidewalk, or other outdoor areas, because of the lack of limitations which a power cord sets.
Gas-powered backpack leaf blowers
Gasoline-powered leaf blowers are usually more powerful than the battery-powered ones. They are suitable for cleaning up larger properties or handling wet and heavy leaves and debris.
They can be used for longer and more frequently than battery-powered ones.
On the other hand, they do require the purchase of special fuel, and oil, as well as regular maintenance. Also, they are noisier and less eco-friendly than electrical and battery-powered ones. Plus, most gasoline powered backpack leaf blowers have manual pull starts, which can be a pain, especially for older people, or people with weak arms and hands.
The gasoline-powered leaf blowers require regular maintenance, including monitoring and replacement of the spark plug, cleaning the carburetor and fan blades, flushing the old fuel out, checking up the fuel system, filters, cables and connections, and others.
Battery-powered backpack leaf blowers
The battery-powered backpack leaf blowers are more suitable for cleaning up small outdoor spaces and limited areas. If you need a leaf blower for cleaning up your tiny yard or for smaller tasks, then a battery-powered tool is a great choice. It is much easier to maintain (although it does require that the batteries are recharged) than the gasoline-powered ones.
Battery-powered leaf blowers are also usually quieter, lighter in weight, and do not produce any harmful emissions.
It is advisable to opt for a tool that runs on a rechargeable li-ion battery because they are lighter and more durable than the nickel-cadmium batteries.
On the other hand, the battery has limited durability, so you will need to stop what you are doing to charge the battery or replace it with an extra one if you need to handle larger tasks.
Plus, keep in mind that some battery powered garden tools are sold as bare tools only, so you need to check the price and availability of the battery and charger for your leaf blower before purchasing it. Fortunately, some of the well-known brands make universal tools that use the same type of battery and charger, so you may want to opt for a backpack leaf blower, which is the same brand as the other battery-powered garden or power tools that you already own.
Overall, a battery-powered backpack leaf blower is an excellent choice for people who need to clean up small areas up to one acre.
The noise level
Unless you live in a completely remote area or plan on wearing ear protection, the noise level of the backpack leaf blower is another important feature which you need to consider.
In most areas, there are county or city ordinances that have decibel restrictions for the tools used for gardening or home improvement, so check out whether there are such local regulations before buying a leaf blower.
If you have neighbors nearby or do not want to disturb your own family or your sensitive ears when using the leaf blower, you should opt for one with lower decibel levels even when used at the highest speed setting.
Battery-powered leaf blowers are usually much quieter than the gasoline-powered ones.
The power of the leaf blower
Always check out the power output of the gardening tool before purchasing it – it is usually indicated and measured in cubic centimeters (cc), volts (V), or amps (A).
Also, check out the Miles per hour (MPH) rating, which is the speed at which the air is expelled, as well as the cubic feet per minute (CFM) rating, which is the volume of air which the blower can move.
The speed of the blower indicates how it can move the leaves or other debris. Leaf blowers with variable speeds are better if you want to have more control over the speed and power of the tool, depending on the tasks you are handling.
You should check out whether the blower of your choice has any anti-vibration suspension or other systems.
This is essential for your comfort and wellbeing, especially if you plan on using your backpack leaf blower for long periods of time.
What you will be using the backpack leaf blower for
Although these tools are called leaf blowers, they are actually pretty handy for dealing with a wide variety of other tasks outdoors or indoors too.
You can use a leaf blower to clean out the debris from your gutters in the spring and the fall or to remove cobwebs or dirt from hard to reach parts of the façade of your house.
You can use a powerful leaf blower to dry your car after washing it.
And of course, it is one of the most useful tools for cleaning up and dealing with leaves, branches, sand, dirt, and other outdoor debris, and is an excellent alternative to having to rake them, pile them up, and clean them up manually.
Last update on 2020-10-28 at 10:34 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API