For music lovers, ‘turntable’ is not a new term. It has been around for years now, being a piece of age-old equipment producing amazing sounds. Though modern-day instruments have taken over the music industry, these beautiful music players are coming around once again, adapting to the technology. Yes, for all you music aficionados out there, this is the era of Bluetooth turntables, ones you can directly connect to your phone and enjoy the sounds of the original turntable.
As a format for storing and listening to music, turntables, or vinyl as they are popularly known as, haven’t been the most convenient of instruments. Yet, they have a loyal following of audiophiles and artists due to their warm sounds and the elegance they exude through their design. Most turntables aren’t very affordable, however, the instrument is catching up with modern-day technology and there are multiple options than there ever were so that everyone can enjoy the charms of this old-world player.
Bluetooth turntables are a thing of the present now which enable users to stream music on vinyl with much ease and convenience. They use a sophisticated wireless connection to allow you to enjoy the distinct sound of vinyl by a mere touch on your smartphone. However, if you don’t have deep knowledge of turntables, choosing the best Bluetooth version might not come easy to you. Hence, here’s a guide to the best Bluetooth turntables in the market along with aspects you need to consider while deciding to buy one.
Top 5 Bluetooth Turntables
Many factors that differentiate a good musical instrument from a bad or an average one. Bluetooth turntables, being a relatively newer concept, can be a confusing domain too. Let’s take a look at the best five Bluetooth turntables available in the market today according to their specific features.
- Best Overall Bluetooth Turntable — Audio Technica AT-LP60BK-BT. This is one of the highest-rated models from our list of Bluetooth turntables. Available in three different colors, this features an aluminium-base platter and an Integral Audio-Technica Dual Magnet phono cartridge with a diamond stylus.
- Best Multi-function Bluetooth Turntable — Victrola Nostalgic Aviator 8-in-1 Bluetooth Turntable. With built-in stereo speakers, this is a 3-speed turntable with Bluetooth connectivity and can also function as a cassette player, a CD player, FM radio as well as a USB player.
- Best Designed Bluetooth Turntable — Sony PS-LX310BT Belt Drive Turntable. This modern-day Bluetooth turntable by Sony is one of the most elegantly designed turntables. It is easy to operate with one switch to turn it off and on. It also allows you to rip the vinyl record into MP3 files and download them on your computer.
- Best Vintage Look Bluetooth Turntable — 1byone Belt Driven Turntable. This Bluetooth turntable model by 1byone is designed in a traditional style and comes in natural wood color with a solid wood appearance. It has all the modern features but with the style of vintage equipment, making it the best vintage look Bluetooth turntable on the market.
- Best Portable Bluetooth Turntable — CMC Portable Bluetooth 3 Stereo Speed Turntable. One of the more affordable turntables in the industry, this model by CMC is lightweight enough to be easily transported. Highly portable, this Bluetooth turntable plays 7, 10 and 12 inches records with a clear and high-quality sound output.
Best Overall Bluetooth Turntable
Audio-Technica, as a brand, has been leading the music equipment industry due to its high-quality products. For turntables as well, the brand has been making some amazing items for several decades now that are easy to use and are affordable without lacking any features. This Bluetooth turntable by Audio-Technica is a belt-drive turntable which means that the planner is connected to an elastic belt that connects it to the motor that operates the device. This improves the sound quality since a lot of noise is cut down and you get clear, high-quality sound. It comes with the option of manually operating it as well if you are in the mood. The platter is made using aluminum which is anti-resonant and adds to the clear sound quality.
- Plays 33-1/3 and 45 RPM records
- Belt-drive turntable that connects to the motor through an elastic belt
- The platter is made from die-cast aluminium
- Comes with a replaceable diamond stylus
- The package includes dual RCA output cable
- Features Integral Audio-Technica Dual Magnet phono cartridge
- High-quality sound due to lesser noise using belt-drive tech
- Anti-resonant aluminium platter adds to the clear sound
- Lesser vibrations
- Can connect up to 8 different Bluetooth profiles
- Does not have a USBF function
Best Multi-function Bluetooth Turntable
The Victoria Nostalgic Aviator Wood 8-in-1 Bluetooth turntable is one of the best picks in terms of multiple functionalities. It is a full-fledged entertainment unit and can also function as a radio, a CD player as well as a cassette player. It can also record music on a CD, cassette or vinyl which you can transfer to a USB stick. It comes with a 3.5 mm audio jack and an aux cable which means you can play music through a non-Bluetooth device as well.
- 3-speed turntable — 33 1/3, 45, 78 RPM
- Can record music directly to USB
- Can catch connections up to 33 feet away
- Has a built-in cassette and CD player and also an audio jack for AUX
- Comes with a remote control
- Can function as multiple entertainment devices
- Remote control ensures convenient and easy handling
- No need to connect to a computer for recording MP3
- Can connect to non-Bluetooth devices as well
- Does not allow connection with Bluetooth speakers
Best Designed Bluetooth Turntable
A little on the higher side of pricing, this is an ultra-elegant and modernly-designed Bluetooth turntable by the industry leader Sony. The LX310BT uses belt-drive technology to ensure minimum vibrations and hence, a high sound quality. It offers two speeds and the platter is made of die-cast aluminium. There is also a straight tonearm designed using aluminium that allows for improved tracking of the record player. The vinyl also allows to rip the record to digital MP3 files and transfer them on your computer.
- 2 speeds — 33 1/3 rpm and 45 rpm
- Uses belt-drive technology
- One-step auto start, stop and return
- In built switchable phono output
- An aluminium die-cast platter
- The belt drive ensures high-quality sound
- The aluminium platter, being anti-resonant, reduces vibrations
- Easy to operate with one-step auto start and stop
- Allows conversion of vinyl records to digital MP3 files to listen music on the go
- Beautiful and elegant design
- More expensive compared to other models
Best Vintage-Look Bluetooth Turntable
The main charm of turntables is that they are an old-world instrument that carry distinct warm sounds. This model by 1byone blends modern technology with a vintage look to create a beautiful Bluetooth turntable with multiple functions. It comes with three speeds and built-in full-range stereo speakers that produce an extremely clear sound. It also allows connection to an external speaker through RCA cable and the conversion of vinyl records into MP3 songs to be transferred to your computer.
- 3 speeds — 33, 45, 78 RPM
- Can convert vinyl records to MP3 formats
- Built-in stereo active 2-way crossover sound system
- Can be connected to an external speaker through RCA
- Has a solid wood appearance
- Looks beautiful with natural wood color and design
- The 2-way crossover stereo optimises sound for all music genres
- Can connect with an external speaker, unlike most other models
- Comes with a flexible dust cover for protection
- Does not function as a CD or a cassette player
Best Portable Bluetooth Turntable
This stylish looking model from CMC is one of the most portable Bluetooth turntables in the market. Available in blue color, it offers the classic turntable player with 3 speeds. It also features an audio jack slot for AUX input as well as RCA line to enable connection with external speakers. It is extremely lightweight compared to other models which makes it very easy to transport from one place to the other.
- 3 speeds — 33, 45, 78 RPM
- Can play 7, 10 and 12 inches records
- Features a headphone jack
- Can use an AUX cable
- RCA line for external speakers
- Built-in stereo speakers
- Is extremely lightweight and hence, highly portable
- Can connect with external speakers through RCA line
- Has an elegant and stylish modern-day look
- Option to play different sized records
- Does not have multiple functions
Factors to Consider before Buying
While it may not break the bank, buying a Bluetooth turntable is no cheap affair. Best Bluetooth turntables cost fairly high and therefore, have to be critically viewed before making a decision. With more and more models being launched in the market, it can be a daunting task to choose the best model. To make it easier, here are the top factors you need to consider before buying a Bluetooth turntable.
The Type of Drive
There are two types of turntables — direct drive and belt drive. In belt-drive Bluetooth turntables, the platter is not directly connected to the motor. Instead, it is attached to an elastic belt which in turn connects to the motor. On the other hand, in a direct-drive Bluetooth turntable, the platter is directly connected with the motor. Belt-drive turntables have considerably higher sound quality since the belt absorbs most of the sound of the motor.
One of the most important factors to look at is the Bluetooth range the turntable is equipped to catch. An ideal range is not less than 30-35 feet, which means that the Bluetooth device should be within that distance. Another function to note is whether the turntable has both Bluetooth in and out functions. The Bluetooth out function means that the turntable can be connected to external Bluetooth speakers.
Rotation Speed Compatibility
Some Bluetooth turntables come with three speeds and some come with two speeds. Depending on the records you will be playing, you need to determine which model suits you better. Generally, there are three rotation speeds — 33, 45 and 78 RPM. 45 RPM was the last to be invented while the first turntables used 78 RPM.
Frequently Asked Questions
There might be few questions that are unanswered still. Take a look at the most commonly asked questions about Bluetooth turntables below and make your research even more sound.
What’s the Difference Between a Turntable and a Record Player?
While both the terms are often used interchangeably, there is a distinct technical difference between a record player and a turntable. A record player means the entire equipment unit that plays vinyl records and includes multiple parts like the platter, the motor, the inbuilt stereo and more. The turntable, on the other hand, is simply the plate on which you place the record, therefore, a part of the record player.
Which Is the Best Bluetooth Turntable for Me?
If you are looking for a Bluetooth turntable to gift someone, buy one that has an elegant, vintage look but offers all modern functions. Preferably, go for the one with three rotation speeds to widen the types of records that can be played. It should also be easy to use and operate and durable enough.
Can All Turntables Play All Types of Records?
No, all turntables can’t play all types of records. Different turntables are equipped with different rotating speeds which means they can only play records compatible with those speeds. Turntables that have all 3 rotation speeds can play all types of records, though. As mentioned in the reviews above,multiple models support all three — 33, 45, and 78 — rotation speeds.
It can be an overwhelming task to choose a Bluetooth turntable, especially when you are buying it as a gift since it also involves a sentimental quotient. There are multiple aspects that you should consider before making the final decision. Rotation speeds, functions offered, durability and many other factors define the attractiveness of a Bluetooth turntable. With this buying guide, you can go for the one that best suits you and bring back the vintage charm of a beautiful vinyl through modern technology!
Last update on 2020-09-24 at 21:15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API