A bathtub is the best way to relax and soak away your tiredness after a long, tiring day. If you want to install a bathtub in your bathroom, there are plenty of options out there; however, a freestanding bathtub brings style and elegance to your bathroom because of its aesthetic design. Freestanding bathtubs stand on their own and are like pieces of art in the bathroom. With some clever designing, you can make your freestanding tub a statement piece and add a luxurious feel to your bathroom along with an element of being relaxing and calming.
Whether you’re looking to install a large-size freestanding tub or an elegant clawfoot tub, with so many freestanding tub options on the market, the choice of the best one can be a huge decision. To make your decision easier, we have shortlisted and reviewed some of the best freestanding tubs that you can choose from. Our buyer’s guide will also give you a complete lowdown of what to look for when buying a freestanding tub for your bathroom.
Top 5 Reviews of the Best Freestanding Tubs
- Best Overall — Ariel Platinum AM128JDCLZ Whirlpool Bathtub: The bathtub is loaded with hi-tech features. It comes with a touchscreen keypad, hydro-massager, inbuilt speakers, Bluetooth connectivity and LED lights, all that you need for a luxury bathroom.
- Best Budget Pick — Empava 67″ Luxury Freestanding Bathtub: The tub is customizable for any type of bathroom décor and is available at an affordable price.
- Best Deep Tub — American Standard Cadet Freestanding Bathtub: The 66” bathtub has extra deep bathing well, chrome tub filler and a wide storage deck for a complete bathing experience.
- Best Compact — Woodbridge Freestanding Bathtub: The 59-inch bathtub is lightweight and compact with a 55-gallon capacity and is very easy to install.
- Best Large Bathtub — Ove Decors Rachel Freestanding Bathtub: The 70-inch spacious bathtub is durable and has pre-installed chrome overflow and pop-up drains.
Made of a combination of fiberglass and acrylic, the Platinum AM128JDCLZ bathtub from Ariel is quite sturdy and durable. The bathtub is quite large and comes with a drain, overflow and it has a pre-installed faucet. What sets the Ariel Platinum bathtub apart from the others are its modern electronic features. The tub has a touchscreen next to the faucet, which allows you to control the features of the tub. The tub’s other features include an inbuilt speaker which you can connect to your own device via Bluetooth or by the touchscreen and listen to the radio. The bathtub also features LED lighting that enables you to relax in a serene and calming ambiance. The bathtub has jets on the sides that allows you to have a hydro-massage while you bathe.
- Dimensions: 71”(l) x 37.4”(w) x 27.5”(h)
- Weight: 253 lbs
- Made of fiberglass and acrylic
- Hydro-massage system
- 14 multi-directional whirlpool jets
- 6 water-flow settings
- 1.5 HP motor
- Chrome drain fixtures
- LED chromotherapy lighting
- Chrome waterfall faucet
- Touchscreen keypad
- Bluetooth radio
- ETL listed
- Large size of the bathtub can fit 2 people easily.
- Powerful water jets offer a very vigorous and relaxing massage.
- Has a self-cleaning system.
- Pre-installed faucet limits your options to match the faucet to the rest of the bathroom fixtures.
- The bathtub is quite heavy.
When it comes to style and size, the acrylic Empava Freestanding Bathtub is suitable for any type of bathroom. You can pair the bathtub with any faucet, which is a big plus when you are trying to match the bathtub with the rest of your bathroom. Also, the modern curved, plain white design of the tub can help to highlight your bathroom décor and make it the focal point of your bathroom. The bathtub is fairly lightweight and won’t cause any problems for the floor. The Empava bathtub is pretty large and has a double slipper configuration, which accommodates 2 people comfortably. The bathtub includes an overflow drain, as well as a center drain.
- Dimensions: 66.92″(l) x 31.49″(w) x 26.77″(d)
- Capacity: 58.11 gallons
- 100% glossy white acrylic
- Brushed nickel drain and overflow
- cUPC certified
- The bathtub is customizable to match your décor.
- Ergonomic design.
- The acrylic bathtub is reinforced with fiberglass which offers unmatched durability.
- The bathtub is wide enough to accommodate people with broad shoulders and allows them to recline comfortably without feeling squeezed.
- The tub is so lightweight, if not fixed to the floor, it can be easily pushed across the floor accidentally if it is not filled with water.
The American Standard Cadet Bathtub has a very modern and sleek design and is made from high gloss acrylic with reinforced fiberglass. The bathtub has an extra-deep bathing well which ensures that you have a complete relaxing bathing experience. The bathtub has a wide storage deck and a chrome tub filler that has a hand spray and a drain. The underside of the bathtub is pre-levelled, which makes it very easy to install. The high-gloss surface of the bathtub makes it very easy to clean.
- Made of acrylic with fiberglass reinforcement
- 2-piece construction
- Classic oval design
- Tub filler, drain and hand shower made of polished chrome
- Extra-deep bathing well
- High-gloss cast acrylic
- Chrome center drain and overflow cover
- Overflow and drain assembly included
- The surface is slip resistant.
- The tub has a storage deck, which makes it easy to keep all your bathing accessories conveniently.
- The deep bathing well lets you submerge in the water, perfect for soaking.
- The top build quality of this bathtub ensures that it is very durable.
- Does not adjustable legs.
- The bathtub is relatively pricey.
The 2-person freestanding bathtub from Woodbridge is sure to make your bathroom look modern, stylish and luxurious. The bathtub is quite compact and will make your bathroom look spacious. Made with 100% acrylic and reinforced with fiberglass and resin, the Woodbridge bathtub is very durable. The walls of the tub are designed with double thickness, which helps to retain the water temperature for a long time. The tub is quite lightweight and the installation is very easy. The surface of the tub is scratch proof, the hardware is waterproof and resistant to rusting and the bathtub is very easy to clean.
- Dimensions: 59”(l) x 31.5”(w) x 22.02(d)
- Capacity: 55 gallons
- Made from 100% high-gloss Lucite acrylic and reinforced with Ashland fiberglass and resin
- Stain and scratch-resistant surface
- Bottom with stainless steel bracket
- Double-walled reinforced design
- Anti-leak design drain and pipe system
- Solid brass brushed nickel drain
- Stainless steel brushed nickel overflow
- 5-year limited warranty on bathtub structure and surface
- 1-year limited warranty on plumbing parts
- US-based product support
- The gentle sloping lines of the bathtub follows your body’s natural curves and offers excellent comfort.
- Can bear a capacity of up to 100 lb.
- The concealed legs allow you to level the bathtub perfectly.
- Lightweight tub, which will move if not attached securely.
- Pipe and faucet are quite narrow in diameter, the tub can take a while to fill.
If you’re on the lookout for a really large freestanding bathtub, then the 70-inch Ove Decors Rachel tub is an excellent option. Made from 100% acrylic with reinforced fiberglass the tub has a durable finish that is scratch proof, stain or fade resistant and non-yellowing. The contemporary styling of the bathtub is sure to make your bathroom look luxurious and elegant. The tub has a nice backrest that lets you sit back and relax after a long, tiring day. The tub has adjustable feet that are concealed and it comes with pre-installed high-quality chrome pop-up and overflow drains.
- Dimensions: 70”(l) x 34.2”(w) x 30”(d)
- Made of 100% acrylic with fiberglass reinforcement
- Leveling legs
- Overflow and drain included
- ULC/CSA certified
- Leveling legs make the bathtub very easy to install.
- Lightweight tub.
- The striking design of the tub makes it perfect for any type of bathroom.
- Spacious and comfortable tub.
- May be a bit slippery.
- The drain may not be very accessible.
Why Should You Have a Bathtub?
There are many reasons why to have a bathtub in your bathroom.
- Taking a bath in a bathtub can help to wash your body better because you are submerged in the water and this can help you clean each and every part of your body more effectively and you won’t miss a spot. Also, taking a bath can help you feel more relaxed.
- Tubs are great for small children. Since your child is in the water, you will be more comfortable that he/she will not slip and have an accident. And, also washing your child in the bathtub is much easier.
- Bathtubs are considered luxurious and can increase the value of your home, especially if you’re planning to sell it.
Types of Bathtubs
Usually, these bathtubs are installed in homes to provide a bathing experience for families, including kids and even pets. These tubs are usually white colored with a showerhead attached above. This is the kind of bathtub that most people grew up with.
These are generally deeper compared to others and can hold more water. Soaking tubs come in many different shapes, sizes and styles and let you submerge your entire body into the water. Usually, soaking bathtubs are freestanding, as they are larger and it can be difficult to build a frame around these tubs.
These tubs have a door on the side that lets you walk into the bathtub instead of climbing over the edge. Walk-in bathtubs are especially useful for elderly people and people with limited mobility. Some models of walk-in tubs also have accessories like a built-in seat which lets users sit comfortably in the tub.
Air or Whirlpool Bathtubs
These are tubs that offer a warm feeling of pulsating water jets that caress and massage all parts of your body. These bathtubs are quite large and they are quite deep like soaking tubs. These tubs are more complex because they include pumps and filters that are required to energize and circulate the water. The only drawback of whirlpool and air bathtubs is that they are more difficult to install and are more expensive.
Some of the other types of bathtubs are:
- Freestanding Tub: This sits on the floor by itself and does not have a wall or frame around it. This is the easiest type of bathtub to install and all you need is a level floor and sufficient space.
- Alcove Tub: This is a rectangular bathtub that is installed with 3 walls and one side of the bathtub is completely open and accessible. A frame must be built of all 3 sides of the tub, which makes the installation of an alcove tub more expensive.
- Corner Tub: This is usually installed in the corner of the bathroom adjacent to 2 walls. Usually, this bathtub is triangular shaped. It is more difficult to install than a freestanding bathtub but easier than an alcove bathtub.
Built-In vs Freestanding Bathtubs
Freestanding tubs have become very popular in recent years. Whether you like the vintage look or a modern one, a freestanding tub makes a statement in the bathroom and they come in a wide range of sizes, shapes and styles from a modern egg-shaped one to a classic claw-foot tub, you can choose a creative style that you like. Usually, freestanding tubs are unique, they make a statement and are considered to be luxurious. A freestanding tub is very easy to install and it allows to use your space creatively and you can place it anywhere at all, in the middle of the room, under the skylight, near a window, etc.
Built-in tubs, on the other hand, have their advantages, especially for smaller spaces. They are practical and sensible and generally a more affordable option compared to freestanding tubs. Built-in bathtubs are more economical in terms of the space as they usually are placed flush with the wall and are a good option if you have a small bathroom. Since these tubs are built flush with walls, you can have storage options such as shelves mounted on the walls and if you have a wide surround, you can use it to store your products. The plumbing for built-in tubs is usually pre-installed and gets tucked away under the tub and the cleaning of the tub is also much easier compared to a freestanding tub.
Things to Consider before Buying a Freestanding Tub
Here are some important things that you must look for before narrowing down your choice of a freestanding bathtub that suits your personal needs the best.
You must pay close attention to the material of the bathtub. Acrylic is quite a popular choice. It warms quickly and is slow to lose heat. Acrylic is lightweight and durable, especially if it is reinforced with fiberglass. You have bathtubs made of marble, cast iron and copper, but these are quite expensive options. Cast iron is quite sturdy and durable and retains heat very well. Copper and marble bathtubs make your bathroom look aesthetic and beautiful. While choosing the bathtub material, you must keep in mind factors such as the weight of the tub and ease of maintenance.
Freestanding bathtubs made of stone or metal tend to be much heavier and they may need additional work during the installation process. You can opt for a large sized bathtub if your bathroom floor can handle the weight, as well as the pressure of the freestanding bathtub, especially if the bathroom is on the upper level. For a floor without reinforcement, a lightweight, simple bathtub is the best choice.
Look for a bathtub that will comfortably accommodate the people who will be using it. Also, you need to consider the space that is available in your bathroom to determine what size tub will be right for the bathroom. Bathtubs are available in various sizes to fit different users. For instance, a tall person will need a longer bathtub, while a fatter person will need a wider tub. A compact, shallow tub is a safer option for kids. Also, you must consider the installation. A freestanding tub will need more space, while an alcove bathtub may not need as much space.
Choose a bathtub that retains the heat for a longer time. Most of the freestanding tubs offer this because of their double-walled construction.
Freestanding bathtubs are available in a wide variety of styles and colors. Most tubs are white colored, which offers a classic look and white bathtubs complement most bathroom styles and decors. A freestanding bathtub can highlight your bathroom and offer a unique aesthetic look.
Freestanding Tubs – Dos and Don’ts
- After each use, wipe the tub with a soft cloth to prevent ugly water spots and to keep the tub sparkling clean.
- If you have not used the tub for a while, wipe it with a damp cloth and then dry it with a soft dry cloth.
- If you use bath oils, rinse the bathtub after a bath to prevent the sediments and grime from settling into the tub.
- Maintain a regular cleaning schedule of your freestanding bathtub to keep it clean and sparkling.
- Ensure that you use the proper cleaner and tools according to your bathtub’s finish. If the finish of the tub is semi-gloss, then use a mild cleanser or dishwashing liquid and never use abrasive pads, cleaners or any cleanser with grit. If the tub has a matte finish, then use a mild cleanser and you could use a mildly abrasive cleaner to remove stubborn stains.
- Rinse the freestanding tub thoroughly and dry it with a soft cloth so that the tub is free of cleaning detergents and chemicals.
- Avoid using acidic cleaners including vinegar, because they will corrode the stone resin.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals or petroleum-based products such as solvents or paint thinners because these will damage the bathtub and cause it to look lifeless, dull and uneven. Avoid substances such as kerosene, gasoline, nail polish remover, pine oil, wintergreen oil, etc. to clean your freestanding bathtub.
- Avoid using abrasive cleaners as they will scratch the tub’s surface and dull it. When you rub the cleaner, if it feels gritty, then do not use it on the tub. However, if your tub has a stone resin matte finish, you could use a very mild abrasive cleaner to remove tough stains.
- Do not use metal scrubbers, abrasive cleaning cloths, blades or any sharp surface that can scratch the surface of your freestanding bathtub and damage it.
What are the different styles of freestanding bathtubs available?
From the vintage claw-foot style or pedestal-style to the modern tiled or wood construction, freestanding bathtubs come in a variety of sizes, shapes and styles. Curvy, elongated and high-back tubs are traditional styles, while modern homes may opt for rectangular or square-shaped tubs in a recessed deck, patio or a spa-like bathroom. Freestyle bathtubs can be made of porcelain, acrylic, stainless steel, copper, tile or wood.
Does a freestanding tub have special features?
From temperature control to aromatherapy and jet water offering hydrotherapy massages, freestanding tubs are built for you to enjoy a relaxing bathing experience. High-end bathtub models offer mood simulation via colored lamps or chromatherapy, where lamps are built into the tub and you can select the colors you want and enjoy a calm and relaxing soak.
What are the sizes of freestanding bathtubs?
Typically, freestanding tubs come in lengths between 60 and 72 inches. And commonly, an average freestanding tub can hold up to around 250 gallons of water. Freestanding tubs are available for 1 or 2 people.
Do you need special plumbing, filters and pumps for a freestanding tub?
Freestanding bathtubs can be installed in modern bathrooms that have plumbing for regular bathtubs or showers. Freestanding tubs do not require any additional plumbing, pumps or filters, unlike whirlpool tubs. However, if you have a freestanding tub installed outside, you will have to make the necessary plumbing arrangements for hot and cold water and drainage.
There is no doubt that freestanding tubs have taken over regular bathtubs which have been installed in homes for several decades. Freestanding bathtubs are bigger and can instantly make your bathroom look elegant and sophisticated. The popularity of freestanding tubs has given rise to tubs that are available in a wide range of styles, shapes, sizes and materials and one is spoilt for choice. Our reviews of the best freestanding tubs and our detailed buying guide have outlined everything you need to know when buying the best freestanding tub for your bathroom that is sure to offer you hours of relaxation for many years to come.
Last update on 2020-03-30 at 07:55 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API