Our bodies are made of almost 90% water, and the access to safe and clean water is a fundamental human right and need.
The problem is the water which runs through our faucets is not always as clean and as safe as we may want it to be.
There are many expensive and complicated water filtering solutions which can help filter the water in your home, but if you are looking for an inexpensive, easy to use and maintain way to ensure that your drinking water is safe, a good quality water filter pitcher is the best option for you.
Since there are so many different types of water filtering jugs on the market and the choice of the best one can be quite challenging, we have compiled a list of the best ones which are available in 2020 for you.
Read on to find out which are the best water filter pitchers for 2020, as well as why you should purchase and use one.
The Aquagear is the best water filter pitcher for 2020 because it is one of the most efficient ones for removing the harmful and potentially dangerous lead, fluorine, chromium-6 and chloramine, mercury, and chlorine from the tap water.
It also has a filter cartridge which can filter up to 150 gallons of water, which is about 3 times more than the Brit filters and almost 4 times more than the ZeroWater cartridges, according to its manufacturer.
Plus, it is reasonably priced and comes with a lifetime guarantee, so even if you break or chip the pitcher, you can get a free replacement.
The replacement cartridge for 150 gallons costs just under $50, but it will last you much longer than the standard water filter pitcher cartridges. You can subscribe to receiving cheaper and regular filter replacement cartridge deliveries depending on the water usage in your household.
On average, the filter will last for a couple of months, and if you do not drink or use as much water per day, it can last you for 5 to 6 months.
The pitcher itself holds half a gallon of water per refill.
The filter is made in the USA and is tested and certified to be safe and efficient in removing a wide range of contaminants, which regular filters cannot trace or capture.
It is made of BPA-free and FDA approved vegan and recyclable materials.
- Exceeds the standard for reduction of contaminants – NSF 42 and 53
- The 5-stage filter can successfully remove 2000% more contaminants than Brita and other filters
- The filter has a capacity of purifying up to 150 gallons of water
- It can remove lead, copper, fluoride, chromium 6, chloramines, chlorine and mercury from the water
- The filter lets the healthy trace minerals like magnesium and calcium pass through too your drinking water
- It is one of the few water filter pitchers which can remove fluoride from the water
- Made of recyclable, vegan, BPA-free and FDA approved materials
- The pitcher comes with a lifetime warranty
- The pitcher and the filter cartridges are on the high end when it comes to price
- There is no low-filter indicator or reminder
- The filter can be slower than others when filtering the water
The runner-up in our list for the best water filter pitchers for 2020 is affordable, has a large capacity, and successfully filters the water from chlorine, sediments, and metals, mercury, cadmium, copper, zinc and others.
The pitcher has a 10 cup capacity, and the filter will purify the water in it for just 1-2 minutes. The pitcher is designed to prevent you from mixing filtered and unfiltered water when pouring it.
It also makes tap water taste well, so you can give up buying bottled water altogether once you start using the AquaBliss pitcher at home.
The pitcher comes with a full money-back guarantee and a 1-year warranty.
A pack of 3 replacement cartridges costs less than $25, and each one will last for up to 4 months.
The AquaBliss pitcher has a digital countdown filter indicator, which will let you know when it is time to replace the cartridge.
- A large capacity of 10 cups
- It filters the water in less than 2 minutes
- The pitcher and the replacement filters are very affordable
- The filter can remove chlorine, sediments and some dangerous heavy metals from the water
- Your water will taste much better
- It has a digital countdown filter indicator
- You cannot pour water until it is completely filtered – so you won’t risk drinking unfiltered water
- It is sold with a money-back guarantee and a 1-year warranty
- Due to its large size, you need to be careful when pouring water, to prevent spillage
- The anti-slip rubber gasket can come off easily
Best bang for the buck
Brita is one of the most recognizable names when it comes to water filter pitchers. The Brita Grand is our choice for the best deal on the market right now.
The pitcher costs about $25, and a pack of 3 replacement filters will cost you less than $15. So this is no doubt one of the best budget-friendly water filter pitcher deals for 2020.
The pitcher itself has a capacity of 10 cups of water.
The filters are BPA-free and can reduce the chlorine, copper, mercury and cadmium found in tap water.
The pitcher has an electronic filter indicator. Each of the filters will help you save the money and helps the environment by replacing the need to buy and then dispose of up to 300 standard bottles of water.
The filter can efficiently purify, remove the odor and taste of chlorine from up to 40 gallons of water.
- A large capacity pitcher for 10 cups of water
- The filter can clean up to 40 gallons of water from the chlorine smell, taste, and heavy metal impurities
- Both the pitcher and the filters are inexpensive
- It has a digital indicator for the filter replacement
- The pitcher is available in white, black and red color options
- The lid can sometimes fall off when you are pouring water
- The filters are limited to filtering cadmium, copper, and mercury, and reducing the smell and taste of chlorine, which may not be enough for the water in some areas
The rest of the best water filter pitchers for 2020
The ZeroWater ZP-010 is another highly efficient water filter that will ensure that the water you use for drinking or cooking is free of dust, algae, herbicides, pesticide, chlorine, mercury, chloramine, and 99% of the heavy metals like lead and chromium.
The pitcher has a 10 cup capacity, and its filter’ efficiency is tested and certified in accordance with the NSF standards for contamination removal.
The pitcher comes with a nifty water quality TDS meter, which you can use to test the purity and quality of the water at all times, so you will know when it is time to replace the filter cartridge.
The 5 stage filter includes a special Ion Exchange Technology for reducing the contaminants in the water.
The pitcher is reasonably priced, and its BPA-free replacement filter is just over $15.
- NSF tested and certified for the removal of lead, and chromium
- Removes herbicides, pesticides, algae, dust, chlorine, mercury and others
- Reduces the total dissolved solids (TDS) and comes with a TDS meter for a more precise indication when it is time to change the filter
- The pitcher and filters are BPA-free
- The pitcher is easy to clean
- It has a 10 cup capacity
- Both the pitcher and the replacement filters for it are very reasonably priced
- The water will have a slightly acidic or sour taste after the filtering because the filter removes the dissolved solids which give the water a softer taste
- The upper reservoir is ¼ smaller than the lower one, which means you will need to refill it several times to get the full capacity of filtered water
The PUR DS1800Z is a perfect choice for larger families or for households where there is a lot of water consumption.
It has an 18 cup capacity but is still designed to fit in the fridge.
The pitcher has a useful water dispenser tap, so you can pour water easily without having to lift it and pour it manually.
Each of the basic filters can clean up to 40 gallons of water. The filter can reduce copper, mercury, pesticides, and industrial pollutants from the water.
The affordable dispenser is also available with a faster basic filter if you want to have access to filtered water just a few minutes after filling it up.
Depending on the quality of your water, you can also opt for the specialized lead reduction replacement filter pack.
- A massive capacity of 18 cups of water which is more than one gallon
- Fits a fridge thanks to its slim design, and has a dispenser tap for easy and hassle-free pouring
- Sold at a very affordable price
- BPA free
- There are faster, as well as lead removal filter cartridges available
- The basic filter has a capacity of filtering up to 40 gallons of water
- It removes mercury, lead, copper, and pesticides from the water
- Some users have complained about leaks from the dispenser after several months of use
If you need a small capacity and compact water filter pitcher, then we recommend the Brita 42629 pitcher.
It has a 5 cup capacity, costs about $20, and can filter up to 40 gallons of water before the need of a filter cartridge replacement.
The compact and slim pitcher can fit in any fridge, and will not take up too much space on the countertop or any other surface.
It will remove copper, cadmium, and mercury, as well as the smell and taste of chlorine from your tap water.
There is a convenient sticker filter indicator which will remind you when it is time to replace the filter.
The replacement cartridges come in packs of 3 and cost under $15.
- Small size and small footprint of the pitcher
- It can fit in any cupboard or fridge
- Very easy to clean
- Inexpensive pitcher and replacement filters
- The filter has a capacity of removing some heavy metals and the taste and odor of chlorine from up to 40 gallons of water
- You can also use other longer-lasting Brita filters with this pitcher
- There is a sticker indicator for the filter
- You can join the filter replacement subscription program to get automatic shipments at an interval you want
- The 5-cup pitcher is suitable for a household of 1 or 2 people
The EHM Ultra-Premium water filter pitcher has a unique ionizing filtering system which will make your tap water more alkaline, and thus make it easier to absorb by your body. This means you will need to drink less water in order to stay properly hydrated.
The pitcher filters the water quickly and can fit easily in any fridge.
The filter itself has 6 stages of filtering to remove the chlorine, the heavy metals, and other contaminants from the water. At the same time, it will add the healthy calcium, magnesium and potassium minerals to your drinking water, and will increase the pH level to up to 9.5pH.
- Very easy to assemble, disassemble and clean
- Slim design, making it easy to fit in a refrigerator
- Provides you with alkaline water with a higher pH level for better hydration
- Made of toxin-free materials
- Removes the harmful heavy metals and chlorine
- Adds anti-oxidants, and healthy minerals to the drinking water
- There is no filter replacement indicator
- The pitcher is more expensive than some of the others on this list
The PUR Classic water filter pitcher has an 11 cup capacity and will easily fit in your fridge.
It has a light filter indicator, and each of its filters can purify up to 40 gallons of water.
The filter is capable of removing copper, mercury, pesticides, and industrial pollutants, as well as harmful metals from your old pipes.
The pitcher is very affordable, and its 3-pack replacement filter cartridges cost just over $20.
- An 11 cup capacity
- Slim design, for refrigerator storage
- The filter can clean up to 40 gallons of water
- There is a useful filter status light indicator on top of the pitcher
- The filter will remove most harmful heavy metals, pesticides, and even pharmaceuticals from the water you drink
- The water filtering is slower than by some of the other water filter pitchers
- The filter will soften the water only slightly
The Brita Metro water filter pitcher is one of the least expensive ones on this list. It costs less than $20, and you can buy a pack of 3 replacement filter cartridges for it for less than $15.
The pitcher has a slim design, a small footprint, and a capacity of up to 5 cups of water. It is suitable for homes with one or two people, as well as for those with small storage space.
The filter can remove chlorine, mercury, copper, and cadmium from the water you drink.
It has a filter indicator that will count down the number of pours, so you know when it is time to replace the cartridge.
- Very compact size, suitable for small kitchens, rooms or refrigerators
- Available at a very inexpensive price – for the pitcher, and for the replacement cartridges
- Removes mercury, copper, cadmium, and chlorine from the water
- There is a filter countdown indicator
- Available in three different color options
- Every filter cartridge can purify up to 40 gallons of water
- It may be too small for households with more than 2 people
- The water filtering is relatively slow
- You will need to remove the whole lid in order to fill the tank
This premium quality water filter pitcher is one of the most efficient of all the products on this list when it comes to removing the potentially harmful and dangerous contaminants from your tap water.
Its filtration system removes nearly all of the fluoride, lead, chlorine, pesticides, PFOAS, PFAS, pharmaceuticals, and chromium-6 from the water.
Plus, every filter cartridge has a capacity of filtering up to 100 gallons of water, which is enough for 4 or more months.
The pitcher has a capacity of 10 cups and can fit in your fridge, so you always have access to clean, healthy and cold water.
It is sold with a lifetime guarantee, and you can get your money back if you are not happy with it.
- Removes over 98% of the fluoride from the water which is more than the majority of other water filter pitchers
- The filter can remove up to 230 different harmful and potentially dangerous contaminants from the water
- Each filter cartridge has a capacity for cleaning up to 100 gallons of water
- A 10 cup capacity, and slim design
- It also removes microplastics and PFOAS and PFAS which the other pitchers on this list do not offer
- It is sold with a money-back guarantee and a lifetime guarantee for peace of mind
- The water filtering is slower than many other water filter pitchers
- No filter replacement indicator
- The pitcher and replacement filter cartridge are more expensive than others on this list
The Seychelle Pitcher is another high-end water filter pitcher which will remove up to 99% of the pollutants from the water which you and your family drink.
Each of the two filters in this pitcher has a capacity of filtering up to 100 gallons, which means that the two together will last for up to 200 gallons of water.
Thanks to its double filtering system, this pitcher will filter the water much faster than the regular ones.
The five-stage filters include fluoride and lead filters and have 2-micron pores, to trap and remove even the microscopic contaminants from your water.
The Seychelle Pitcher can remove fluoride, mercury, chlorine, and lead, as well as other common pollutants from city and well water.
- Two high-quality filters with a total capacity of up to 200 gallons of water
- They remove fluoride, chlorine, lead, mercury and other pollutants
- The filtering is much faster than that offered by other water filter pitchers
- You can purchase the regular replacement filter cartridges or a set of pHO Alkaline water filter replacements
- The pitcher and its filters are made of food-grade, safe materials
- If you have hard water, the filters may get clogged by the minerals in it
- The pitcher is suitable for municipal but not for well water
The Lake Industries Alkaline Water Pitcher has one of the most complex filtering systems of all of the water purifying products on this list.
It has a 7-stage filtering system that includes carbon, tourmaline, ion exchange resin, and mineral balls. The filter can successfully remove chlorine, heavy metals, odor and pollutants from the water.
The result is delicious and healthy alkaline water for drinking and easy and efficient hydration.
The pitcher and filter cartridge are made of food-safe materials.
It has an ergonomic design and is easy to full and pour without having to remove the lid.
- Ergonomic design for easy pouring, filling, and storage without spillage
- A 7-stage filtering system which can remove heavy metals, chlorine, and other pollutants
- The filtered water has higher pH levels so you will be hydrated perfectly even when you drink less water than usual
- A 4 pack of replacement cartridge filters costs less than $37
- The mineral filter adds healthy minerals to your water
- A capacity of up to 40 gallons of water per filter
- Some users report that their filters last for less time than advertised
The Brita Atlantis water filter pitcher has a 6 cup capacity and comes with a Brita filter, which will reduce the unpleasant smell and taste of chlorine and remove cadmium, mercury and copper from your water.
Each filter will work for purifying 40 gallons of water.
The pitcher is slim and will fit in the fridge easily.
It filters the water quickly, so you will have clean and tasty drinking water in a matter of minutes every time you refill it.
- A sticker filter replacement notification, as well as an option to subscribe for filter replacement reminders and delivery
- Small footprint, slim design
- Comes with a filter
- Removes the chlorine smell and taste, as well as some of the harmful heavy metals from the water
- Easy to clean, and filters which are easy to replace
- Very fast water filtering
- Its capacity of just 6 cups may not be sufficient for homes with more than 1-2 people
This Alkaline water pitcher will not only filter your tap water, but it will also ionize it and remineralize it. This will allow you to have clean, safe, alkaline, and mineralized water for drinking at all times.
The filter of the pitcher will last for up to 96 gallons of water.
The pH level of the water will be increased to 10pH, which will make it much more hydrating and easy to absorb.
Also, the filter will add the healthy and nutritional minerals you need, including calcium and selenium.
At the same time, it will remove the chlorine, fluoride, and chloramine from the water as well.
The pitcher and filter cartridge are made of BPA-free, certified and safe materials.
It is sold with a 100% satisfaction guarantee, so you can return it and get your money back if you are not happy with it.
- Large filtering capacity of up to 96 gallons per filter cartridge
- It will make your water more alkaline and will add the minerals and antioxidants your body needs to stay well and healthy
- It removes chlorine, chloramine, and fluoride as well as the heavy metals from the tap water
- Certified and FDA approved for safety
- Sold with 100% money-back satisfaction guarantee
- The filtered water tank is not too big, so you will need to refill it often, especially for larger households
What is a water filter pitcher?
A water filter pitcher is a special water pitcher with a filtering system that allows for easy and inexpensive filtration of tap water. These pitchers work by adding tap water to the top reservoir which passes through the filter and the clean water ends up in the bottom tank, ready for consumption.
These pitchers can have different volumes and different types of filters, which can remove various contaminants from the water.
The question is – how to choose the best water filter pitcher for your needs?
Read on to find out more about the features to look for, as well as why you should buy a water filter pitcher for your home or office.
The features to look for when buying a water filter pitcher
Before you proceed to buy a water filter pitcher, there are some questions you will need to ask yourself, in order to ensure that you are making the best choice and a wise investment.
Find out what is in your tap water
The water running from your tap will differ from others depending on your water source – municipal or well, as well as the area you live in.
It is essential to check the content and chemical composition of your water before proceeding to buy a water filtering pitcher.
You can test your water with a home testing kit, ask an expert to test it for you, or check with your water supplier to find out the exact contaminants in the water you drink, use for drinking, cooking, and other use.
Please note, that even if the provider of your municipal water assures you that the water is perfectly clean and safe, it does usually travel for miles through all kinds of old pipes while reaching your faucets. So although it may be clean when it leaves the municipal water treatment facility, it can easily be contaminated with heavy metals, bacteria, chemicals, fungi, and other microorganisms on the way to your home.
If you are using municipal water, then it is most probably chlorinated. If it comes from a well, then it may be contaminated with certain heavy metals, pesticides, or others.
After you find out what you will need to be filtering, you can go ahead and choose a water filter pitcher that will successfully remove these specific contaminants and pollutants.
Keep in mind that although all water filter pitchers are made for filtering tap water, some of them can remove even most of the fluoride, as well as other specific pollutants and substances too.
You may want to pick a pitcher which is NSF/ANSI certified for the removal of the specific components you want to be removed from your tap water.
If your goal is to remove the unpleasant smell and taste of your water, then you should opt for a pitcher which is certified per NSF/ ANSI 42.
If you are more worried about the removal of heavy metals and other harmful contaminants, then look for a water filter pitcher which is certified for compliance with NSF/ANSI 53.
Also, take note that some of the water filter pitchers also help improve the quality of the water you drink, use for cooking, for making tea or coffee, lemonade, or others. There are pitchers which will add healthy minerals to your water or make it more alkaline for easier absorption and better hydration.
How many people will be using the pitcher?
You should choose a water filter pitcher which has a capacity sufficient for the household or office which will be using it. If there are more people, you should opt for the larger pitchers and dispensers, so that you don’t need to keep refilling it every time anybody drinks water. There are also smaller pitchers with capacities of just 5-6 cups so you can save space if you are the only one who will be using the pitcher.
Also, the filters of these pitchers have a specific capacity for filtering, so make sure you pick a pitcher which has a filter that will not need to be replaced too often.
Determine your budget
When you are shopping for a water filter pitcher, you should consider not only the initial price of the pitcher and filter but also check out the price for the replacement filter cartilages for it, as well as how often you will need to replace them.
A water filter pitcher will require ongoing expenses, so make sure that you choose the one which will fit your set budget not only short-term but in the long run as well.
If you want higher quality, multi-stage filtration systems, you will likely need to pay more.
Who will be using the pitcher?
Depending on the type and model of the water filter pitcher, it can be quite heavy when filled with water. So if somebody with mobility problems, weak hands, or if kids are going to use the pitcher and pour water for it, you should opt for a smaller and lighter one.
Always check the weight of the product and consider how much it will weigh when filled with water before you purchase the best water filter pitcher for your needs.
Is there a guarantee, and how long is it?
Some of the pitchers on our list come with a lifetime guarantee, which means that you will get a replacement for free if something breaks over time.
Others come with satisfaction guarantees, so you can buy and test them, and return them if they do not meet your expectations.
In order to ensure that you are investing your money wisely, always check the warranty and guarantees offered by the manufacturers or retailers.
Keep the design in mind too
The design of the water pitcher is not just about aesthetics. It is also about how ergonomic it is, how easy it is to refill, to clean, to replace the filters, and to store on a countertop or in the refrigerator.
Most of the pitchers we have picked for you can fit in a standard-sized refrigerator. We have even chosen a dispenser-type water filter pitcher with a tap so you can pour the water straight from the fridge.
Does it have a filter replacement indicator?
An indicator that will let you know the status of your filter, if it is working properly, how much capacity it has left, as well as when it is time to replace it, will make your life easier for you. Plus, it will guarantee that the water in the pitcher is efficiently filtered at all times, in case you have forgotten when exactly you replaced the filter last time.
The filter life
As mentioned earlier, buying a water filter pitcher is a long-term investment, because you will need to buy replacement filter cartilages periodically.
This is why you should check the filter capacity of the pitcher before buying it and compare it to the water volume your household uses for a day, week or month.
Choose a filter which has a larger capacity, if the people in your home consume a lot of water. This means you will be able to use one cartilage for longer, without the need for replacing the filter too often.
Pick a pitcher with a filtering system that will last you for 2 to up to 6 months.
Also, pick a pitcher which has reasonably priced filter replacements.
Consider the materials used for making the pitcher
Although most water filter pitchers on the market are made of plastic, it is important to consider the fact that some types of plastic are simply not safe for being in constant contact with the water you drink.
Look for jugs which are made of BPA free materials, and of food-safe materials. This will guarantee that the water inside is not contaminated with the potentially harmful chemicals which can disrupt your hormone balance, and which may even cause some forms of cancer.
How easy is it to clean and use?
You wouldn’t want to end up with a pitcher which is impossible to clean, or which requires a lot of effort to refill, right?
Look for one which is designed to be easy to use, easy to assemble, and disassemble for proper cleaning without curves and crevices which are hard to reach, as well as one which you can fill up with water without too much effort and without making a mess.
The water filtering speed
Some of the pitchers which have superb filtering qualities filter the water very slowly. If you are looking for a water filtering jug which will provide you with clean water for drinking in a matter of minutes, but without compromising with its filtering capabilities, you may want to consider buying a pitcher with two filters.
But these pitchers require more maintenance, and are usually appropriate for municipally sourced tap water, because well water with a lot of heavy metals and other contaminants may clog the filters.
Why you should get a water filter pitcher
The advantages of using such a pitcher for filtering tap water may be obvious, but here are some of the benefits which may help you decide whether such an investment is a good idea for you:
The taste of the water will improve
A good quality water filter pitcher will not only remove the harmful pollutants and chemicals from your tap water, but will also make your drinking water taste much better, reduce the odors, and make it clearer and crisper.
The removal of potentially dangerous contaminants
This is the basic function of all water filter pitchers – to remove the harmful pollutants from the water you drink, use for cooking or for making different beverages.
Some of these filtering jugs can remove heavy metals like lead, copper, cadmium, chromium, and others. Other pitchers can remove almost all of the fluoride, any pharmaceuticals, pesticide, herbicides and industrial pollutants from your tap water.
Keep in mind that if your water source is seriously contaminated, you may need a more advanced water filtering system in order to get access to safe drinking water.
They are convenient
A water filter pitcher is usually compact, can fit on a shelf, countertop or in the fridge, and can be filled and cleaned easily. Also, the good quality pitchers allow for easy pouring without spillage.
A jug like this is a much less expensive and simpler solution for gaining access to clean water without having to make any changes to the plumbing system.
It is a perfect option if you inhabit a rented home or office, for a dorm, or another place.
They are environmentally friendly
Just imagine how many plastic bottles you throw away every time you buy bottled water. Now, imagine having a water pitcher which is reusable and will not produce any harmful waste.
A good quality filtering jug will last for years, so you will be keeping the landfills cleaner from not having to throw out thousands of plastic bottles.
If you are looking for ways to live a greener life, then a water filter pitcher is one of the first steps you should make.
They are inexpensive
Even the most expensive water filter pitcher is still a much cheaper alternative to buying and installing an under-sink or countertop filter or a whole house water filter.
It is affordable to buy, requires few resources for keeping it working, and its cleaning, filter replacements, and other maintenance is easy and DIY friendly too.
You will save tons of money for buying bottled water
If you tend to buy bottled water on a regular basis, then you will be saving a lot of your hard-earned money by using a water filter pitcher. Imagine having access to clean and safe drinking water at all times without having to rush to the store and spend money for bottled water.
It is a way to provide your children and family with safe and clean water to drink
A water filter pitcher is an excellent way to guarantee that the water your children drink and consume in the form of food or hot or cold beverages is safe and free of any harmful contaminants.
It is also perfect for people who have sensitivities to specific contaminants, or who have health problems which require them to drink clean and safe water.
Even if you are perfectly healthy, you can ensure that you stay that way and that no harm is done to your organism by any of the pollutants in your tap water.
A water filter pitcher will save you space
A good quality jug for water filtering takes much less space than a cumbersome water dispenser with huge bottles of mineral water. Most of the pitchers can easily fit in a fridge or be kept on any countertop, table, or another surface, no matter how small your kitchen or your living or working space is.
You will not be harmed by the plastic from bottled water
As you probably know, some of the plastic used for bottled water can contaminate the water with chemicals that are harmful to the organism. BPA from the plastic can cause disruptions to the hormonal balance of the body, and cause some types of cancer.
With a good quality water filter pitcher made of food-safe materials, you don’t have to worry about ingesting such harmful chemicals.
How does a water filter pitcher work?
The majority of the water filter pitchers use a cartridge filter or an activated carbon filter to capture and trap the pollutants from the water passing through them.
Once you pour the tap water in the upper tank, it will start flowing through the filter. As it passes through it, the contaminants will be removed, and the filtered water will drain into the water container on the bottom,
When you pour water from the jug, the bypass system will allow the filtered water to exit it without passing through the contaminated filters.
More about the activated carbon filters
An activated carbon filter uses the process of absorption to capture and trap the contaminants from the water. Since activated carbon has a highly porous surface, it can trap most pollutants and keep them inside of the filter without releasing them into the filtered water.
Once the ions of the water contaminants get stuck in the porous surface of the carbon filter, the water which passes through it will be much cleaner and healthier to drink.
Over time, the activated carbon filter will have its entire porous surface filled with pollutants, which is why you need to replace it as advised by the manufacturer.
More about the cartridge water filters
These are more advanced filters for water filtering jugs, which often have other filters apart from the carbon filter, for the removal of other contaminants, for improving the taste and odor of the water, and for improving its overall quality as well.
Some cartridge filters have 5 to 7 stages of filtration before the filtered water drains into the main container of the jug. Some have ion exchange resin, tourmaline, mineral balls, and other filters which all work for providing you the safest and tastiest water.
The ion exchange resins are like miniature resin beads, which are filled with sodium particles. Once calcium or magnesium particles pass through the resin, they stick to its surface. Instead of the minerals being released into the water you drink, you will get safe and tiny amounts of sodium. Ion exchange resins are suitable for “softening” hard water which has a lot of minerals.
The mineral balls ion cartridge filters help add the healthy and essential minerals you need to your drinking water. Once the water passes through these balls, they add only the healthy nutrients and minerals you need to the filtered water.
The Tourmaline used in some cartridge filters is a mineral that can convey a minimal electric current. This current resonates with the water, and as a result, the water molecules will resonate with the same frequencies. With a filter like this, your body’s metabolism will be given a healthy boost every time you drink the filtered water.
What kinds of contaminants can carbon water filters remove?
Although carbon filters are very useful for trapping some of the pollutants from your water, they alone cannot remove all of the harmful contaminants from your drinking water.
The activated carbon filters can trap debris and chemicals, including:
- Chlorine – a chemical used for disinfecting municipal water, but one which leaves a smell and taste, and also can cause certain illnesses
- Trihalomethane compounds – these are by-products from the chlorine treatment of the water, which are linked to certain diseases and are their levels in water are regulated by the government, but still removing them entirely will help keep you healthy and safe
- VOCs – the volatile organic chemicals (VOCs) are chemicals that are found in most pesticides and herbicides. They are highly efficient for soil treatment, but can find a way to contaminate your water, and can cause health problems if consumed regularly or in large quantities
- Giardia – this is a parasite that causes the illness known as giardiasis. This illness can cause diarrhea, abdominal discomfort and pain and weight loss, vomiting, fever and blood in the stool. The parasite spreads through cysts which can survive in water for up to 3 months. Once a water source is infested with giardia, it is difficult to clean completely
- Cryptosporidium – this is another parasite that the carbon filter can block. An infestation with cryptosporidium can cause a respiratory and gastrointestinal illness known as cryptosporidiosis. It can cause diarrhea, coughing and is especially dangerous, and can even be fatal for people with other health issues and those with weaker immune systems
- Some heavy metals including lead, mercury or copper which can cause severe damage to the health of even the healthiest people
- Pesticides – if the pesticides used to treat the soil find a way into your water source, then you can ingest some harmful chemicals which can cause serious illnesses
- Organic compounds – these can affect the taste and the odor of the water, which runs through your faucets. An activated carbon filter can absorb them and eliminate the smells and taste too
Pollutants which the carbon filter cannot remove
Although an activated carbon filter is highly efficient for filtering your drinking water from many of the most common contaminants, it is not capable of removing all of the nitrates, the dissolved minerals, or any viruses or bacteria in your water. But since most municipal water treatment plants treat the water for germs and harmful microorganisms, this should not be a big concern in normal cases.
Why should you change your water filter pitcher’s filter regularly?
You should follow the instructions of the manufacturer and replace the filter of your water filtering jug on time, and as recommended. In case your water is heavily contaminated, you may need to change it even more often than recommended.
If you leave an old filter inside your filtering jug for too long, it will not only be very slow when filtering the water but can also actually contaminate the water which passes through it.
Over time, bacteria can begin growing in the dirty filter, so your water can become contaminated and dangerous to drink.
So, make sure you replace your filter on time, as soon as the filter indicator alerts you or when the water starts flowing slower than usual through it.
Why should you drink filtered tap water?
Depending on your water source, where you live, and the condition of your piping system, your tap water can be unsafe to drink without being filtered.
There are numerous contaminants that can find their way to your water on the way to your home and your faucets.
Some of the potentially dangerous pollutants which can contaminate your water include lead, industrial chemicals, heavy metals, and pesticides.
Old lead pipes and faucets can cause lead poisoning. This type of poisoning can lead to serious health issues like high blood pressure and kidney disease in adults, and learning disabilities, and the delay in the development of young children.
There are also biological contaminants that can pollute your water, including viruses like rotavirus, and norovirus, and other waterborne viruses, as well as giardia, cryptosporidium and other parasites, or harmful bacteria like Legionella or E. coli.
As you can see, there are multiple advantages of buying and using a water filter pitcher in your home or office.
It is no doubt the most accessible and most affordable way to ensure that the water you drink from your tap is clean and free of harmful pollutants and contaminants.
It is essential to know what kind of contaminants you have in your running water at home, to find the most efficient pitcher for your needs.
Also, if the contamination is very serious, you may need to take other actions to ensure that the water in your home is safe to drink or use for cooking and for making beverages.
Hopefully, we have helped you decide which water filter pitcher is the best option for you and that pretty soon, you will be enjoying clean, crisp and safe water without having to buy expensive and environmentally unfriendly bottled water.
Last update on 2020-08-11 at 16:35 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API