Dog GPS Collar
If you have ever lost your dog, you are familiar with the overwhelming feeling of guilt, helplessness, and panic of not being able to find your beloved four-legged companion.
Thankfully, with the rapid technological developments in the last years, you can ensure that your dog can be easily tracked down and located in case it happens to wander off or gets stolen.
With a top-quality dog GPS collar like our top pick for 2020, the Garmin Alpha 100 TT, you will never again spend a sleepless night worrying where your dog is. Plus, with this versatile device, you can also send recall signals, track your dog’s activity and set safety zones and create a completely wireless dog fence for your pet.
A GPS collar is a must for any dog parent who wants to rest assured that they know the whereabouts of their dog at all times.
Read on to find out which the best dog GPS collars on the market are for 2020 and why you should definitely get one right away!
Best overall dog GPS collar for 2020
Since Garmin is one of the most recognizable names when it comes to GPS technologies, there is no doubt in our minds that the company has done its best to make the most reliable and accurate dog GPS collar as well.
The Garmin Alpha 100 TT15 is a multi-functional device that will allow you to track, train and contain your dog within a safety perimeter at the same time.
The GPS system includes a handheld remote and a TT15 dog collar.
The dog GPS collar by Garmin has a range of up to 9 miles and can be used for individually locating, controlling and training up to 20 dogs at the same time.
This top of the line bundle relies on both GPS and satellite GLONASS tracking, so you will never lose contact with your dog again.
The system updates itself every 5 seconds, so all of the trackings is done in real-time, and you can react in real-time as well if your dog happens to wander off.
Thanks to the Tri-Tronics training technology, you can send static stimulation, vibration or tone-only signals to the receiver on your dog’s collar in case you want to recall it or otherwise train it.
The system also offers useful tracking logging, so you can keep an eye on your dog’s activity, the distance it has passed, its speed, as well as its route.
The bundle has a high sensitivity GLONASS satellite and GPS tracking, and the monitor can track up to 20 dogs of up to 9 miles away.
The display on the handheld remote is 3 inches in diagonal, color, TFT and touchscreen which makes it much easier to view the map of your area, pinpoint the dog’s exact location as well as to set the virtual boundaries within which you want to contain your pup.
In case the dog happens to cross the invisible boundaries you have set for it, you will receive an instant alert on the handheld unit, and a recall signal will automatically be transmitted to the dog’s collar.
You can choose the type of alert to be transmitted – tone, vibration, or continuous or momentary static stimulation.
You can also adjust the level of static stimulation for each dog you are controlling and tracking with the system to levels from 1 to 18.
Thanks to the preloaded detailed and accurate TOPO U.S. 100K maps on the device, you will get an accurate map of any area you decide to visit within the US directly displayed on your device.
The GPS dog collar has a 1 inch wide and comfortable strap and can be fitted with either a standard 5-inch antenna or an extended one with a length of 13 inches.
Both the collar itself and the handheld device are powered by batteries which will last for up to 40 hours.
If you prefer, you can set up the system on your computer or another device, so you can view the activity of your dog on a larger screen.
Overall, this dog GPS collar is the absolute best one we have found on the market for 2020. It is an amazingly versatile, reliable and accurate device which will help you train and track even the most stubborn pups.
The second best Dog GPS collar for 2020
The Whistle 3 is a smart GPS tracker for dogs or cats which not only uses GPS but also uses the cellular network of AT&T to accurately track down your pet at all times.
The pet collar attachment will fit any collar which is up to 1 inch wide. Since it weighs less than an ounce and is only 1.6 x 6 x 1.5 inches in size, the tracker can be worn even by the smallest dogs or cats.
The system can also be used to monitor the activity of your pet when you are not with it.
The Whistle 3 works with all kinds of iOS and Android devices, so you can keep an eye on your pet wherever you are via your phone, tablet or another device.
The GPS pet tracker is affordable, and to use it to its full potential you will need to pay a monthly subscription for the cellular service starting from $6.95.
With the useful mobile app for controlling the Whistle 3, you can also set up a safety zone within which you want to contain your dog or cat. In case your pet crosses the virtual boundaries you have set, you will receive an immediate notification on your mobile device.
You can also use this tracking system to view a 24-hour history of the activity of your favorite pet, as well as statistics such as distance passed, speed and others which will help you check whether your dog or cat is getting sufficient exercise for its breed, age, and temperament.
The compact GPS tracking system is also waterproof so it will continue emitting a signal even if your dog decides to jump in the pool for a swim, or gets wet what one reason or another.
The device will run for up to 7 days per charge, and you will receive a notification on your phone or another device when it is time to recharge the battery. A full charge takes just 2 hours, so the Whistle 3 will be set to go almost immediately after the quick recharge of its battery.
Although it doesn’t have training functionality, the Whistle 3 is still a very reliable dog GPS collar which will work impeccably just about anywhere in the US where there is AT&T cellular network coverage.
The best budget-friendly choice for 2020
The Dynotag is not a traditional dog GPS collar, but it still is a very smart tag which will help your dog be identified immediately by anybody who finds it if it gets lost.
This is an inexpensive web-enabled collar ID tag will cost you less than $20 but it will ensure a lifetime recovery service for your dog.
The tag comes in several fun colors with fun notes, including “See reverse to contact my parents”, “Oh crap, I’m lost”, “Have your people call my people” and “Help me get home safely” on the front. There are other various colors, shapes, and signs available as well.
On the back, there is a QR code which anybody with a smartphone or other device can scan instantly, as well as a link to the unique web address of your dog’s and your contact information.
You can add as much information about your dog, including its medical records to the web-based database, as well as all of your contacts so the person who finds your pup can get in touch with you as quickly as possible.
Every single Dynotag is unique and comes with its own unique code. All you need to do is go the Dynotag.com page and add the contact and other information about your dog. Once you have registered, the information will stay in the database forever, without any additional payments needed to be made. Your information can be updated by you at any time and is password protected to keep your data private.
Whenever somebody scans the tag on your dog’s collar, you will receive an instant notification via e-mail. Whenever it is possible, the e-mail will also contain the exact location where the scanning occurred via Google maps.
The tag itself is made of durable stainless steel and covered with a polymer which will protect it and will keep it from making a noise when the dog is walking or moving. There are no complicated electronics which can break or batteries which can run low. This ingenious dog tag is forever.
The Dynotag works in the US, Canada and Europe, as well as in other countries.
It is sold with a reward for return and with a lifetime customer care service.
Overall, we love the price of this device, its simple and yet brilliant design as well as the fact that it is inexpensive and requires no maintenance or reoccurring payments at all.
Our other top picks for the best GPS collars for 2020
Features to look forward to:
- Very reasonably priced, and no subscriptions or recurrent payments are required
- You can store all contact information, as well as your dog’s medical history, records, and medications prescribed on the chip
- The information is obtainable worldwide
- The data can be read via a quick and easy QR code scan with just about any mobile device
- If the tag is scanned, you will receive a text message or e-mail immediately along with the GPS information of the location of the dog
- You can store documents, photos and all kinds of files on the chip
- All of the alerts, reminders, and services are completely free forever
- The tag weighs just 0.6 oz. and is 4 x 1.2 x 5 inches in size, so it is suitable for canines of all sizes
Eureka Technology has designed and made this clever dog monitoring, tracking and locating system which acts as a radar, and will ensure that you locate your dog, no matter where it is, without any additional fees or subscriptions required.
Features to look forward to:
- There is no need for cellular network coverage or a GPS network for this unit to function
- It is an excellent safeguard when you are traveling with your pet
- The system is simple to set up and use, and you can start searching for the dog with a push of a button
- The feedback you will receive includes the distance and direction at which your dog is currently located
- You can expand the system by purchasing and adding more tags
- You can set a safety zone for your dog or other pet, and will receive an alert 80 seconds after the animal has left it
- You can use the system to scan the area you are at like a radar in order to locate your pet
- The display will provide you with the directions you need to follow in order to get to your dog, and the closer you get – the stronger the signal will appear to be on the screen
- The tag will update its status every 5 seconds so you will know where the dog is in real time
- The collar ID tag is very light and small and can be worn by even the smallest cats or dogs
- It is completely waterproof
- The battery of the collar tag lasts for up to 6 weeks of continuous use
- You don’t need to buy replacement batteries, as this one is rechargeable
- The tracking and locating system has a range of up to 2 miles
- It is suitable for pets who weigh 5 lbs. or more
The Garmin Astro 430 T5 is another premium dog GPS collar which uses both GPS and GLONASS satellite tracking to locate your dog with exact precision.
Features to look forward to:
- This top of the line kit includes a handheld remote monitor and a T5 dog tracking collar
- The system can be expanded for up to 20 dogs by purchasing additional T5 dog collars
- The tracking system is highly sensitive and uses both GPS and GLONASS satellite tracking and locating
- The handheld remote has preloaded TOPO U.S. 100k maps, so you will get accurate and detailed maps of the area no matter where you happen to be in the US
- The Garmin dog GPS collar kit also comes with 1 year of free birds eye imagery of the area
- You can check out the various activity and hunting metrics which are logged on the device including the performance of each dog – distance, speed, time traveled and more
- You can use the built-in NiMH battery pack which is rechargeable, but also ordinary AA batteries if you happen to run out of power in the middle of the wilderness
- The rechargeable batteries will last for up to 20 hours of continuous use
- The collar receiver is only 2.4 x 1.4 x 6.3 inches in size
- The tracking system has a range of up to 9 miles
- You will receive alerts when the dog is barking or is on Treed or On Point position when hunting
- The system is compatible with many other Garmin devices, so you can sync it and receive information about the location of your dog on your navigation system and even on your Garmin GPS watch
This high-end dog GPS collar is the same model as our overall favorite one for 2020, but it is specially designed for use with smaller dogs.
Features to look forward to:
- The system is multi-purpose and can be used for tracking as well as for training or for keeping your dog contained within a specific area
- You can use the tracker to monitor, train and control up to 20 dogs if you purchase additional TT15 mini dog collars
- The kit includes a handheld remote and a TT15 mini dog collar
- The handheld has TOPO U.S. 100k maps preloaded on it, which will ensure that you have an accurate and detailed map of the area you are at no matter where you are in the US
- You can use the device to send emergency alerts to other users with Alpha 100 systems in the area
- The handheld remote has a large, 3-inch, color, TFT touchscreen display to monitor the location of your dog on the map, and to set up a virtual dog fence whenever you need to
- Thanks to the integrated barometric altimeter you will also have access to activity statistics about your dog, including its speed, time on the field, distance covered and others
- You can set a safety zone for your dog, and the dog will receive a warning tone, vibration or static stimulation if it happens to leave it, while you will receive a notification immediately
- The system has a range of up to 4 miles
- You can use it as a training device and send recalls or warnings to your dog’s receiver
- The stimulation can be tone-only, vibration or momentary or continuous static
- The static stimulation can be adjusted to 18 different levels, to suit the size and type of dog you have
- Both the collar and the remote work with lithium-ion batteries which will last for up to 20 hours, and are rechargeable via USB
- You can recharge the battery via a power bank or another device, even when you are far away from a power outlet
Related article: Best Dog Shock Collars in 2020
This is a smart dog GPS collar which will allow you to receive alerts regarding the location of your four-legged friend directly on your phone or another smart device.
Features to look forward to:
- The smart tracking system can be used for both dogs and people or hunters
- It has a wide range of up to 9 miles
- The kit includes a remote control and the dog tracking collar
- You can expand the system to up to 21 dogs or humans
- You can easily set a virtual geo-fence border and receive alerts if the dog leaves the safety zone
- The location of the dog is updated every 2 seconds
- The system works with a mobile app which will provide you access to detailed and accurate maps wherever you are
- Although this particular system is for tracking only, you can get it in a version for tracking and training as well
- The collar receiver and the remote are made of sturdy materials and will withstand a lot of use, harsh weather conditions and wear and tear
With this nifty dog GPS collar, you will not only be able to monitor the whereabouts of your dog, but you can actually call it and comfort it or recall it.
Features to look forward to:
- The manufacturer points out that the tracking tag is also very useful for tracking and keeping in contact with young children and elderly people who suffer from dementia
- The tracking system relies on the cellular network and doesn’t require Internet connectivity
- It is IPX7 waterproof and safe
- The battery lasts for up to 3 days
- You can download the mobile app both on Android and on iOS phones and devices
- You can use the app for 2D tracking of your dog at any time
- You can also use the system as a wireless dog fence, set up a safety zone for the pet and receive an alert if it happens to leave it
- You can also speak directly to the pet via the app in order to call it back home or comfort it if it is alone or lost
- The convenient and reliable service requires a very small monthly subscription fee of just $5
In this day and age of all incredible technological developments, it is an absolute shame to hear about people losing their beloved dogs, and having no idea where to look for them.
With a good quality dog GPS collar or tag, you can rest assured that you will know the whereabouts of your pup no matter where it happens to end up after running away, getting stolen or wandering off.
Investing in one of these very useful tracking and locating devices is a very good idea if you want to be sure that you will find your pup no matter what the circumstances are.
Many of the devices on our list offer additional features, such as setting up an invisible safety zone for the dog, receiving alerts in case the dog crosses the virtual borders you have set, as well as sending recall signals to the dog directly.
No matter whether you choose a high-end dog GPS collar or a less expensive smart ID tag for your dog, you can be certain that you are making a worthwhile investment, because anybody who has ever lost a dog or other pet knows just how helpless and broken one feels at that moment.
So, instead of living through the pain of not knowing what has happened to your dog, and what to do to find it, and running around putting up lost dog signs around town, you can make sure that if your dog happens to get lost, you will know exactly where to look for it.
With a dog GPS collar, you can quickly locate your canine friend, and go to retrieve it or recall it at once.
So, good luck with your choice, and enjoy the peace of mind of always knowing where you four-legged baby is!
- Black Mouth Cur – Dog Breed Information, Pictures, Characteristics - January 26, 2021
- The Best 4 Dog Shock Collars 2021 [Pros and Cons] - January 26, 2021
- Akita Dog Breed 2021 - January 26, 2021
Last update on 2021-01-26 at 13:56 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API