Let me guess, as you stumbled here, I believe you were struggling to decide whether you should buy Liquid Plumr or Drano. So I came up with this comparison article for you which will make your decision easier. But before moving forward, I have only one question. Do you need to purchase a drain cleaner to unblock that nasty gunk buildup in your sink? If that is so, let’s compare and contrast.
Liquid Plumr vs Drano
Both the Liquid Plumr and Drano products will dissolve organic matter and push the remaining gunk into the sewage system. The maximum amount of time this process should take is 30 minutes.
Luckily, both heavy-duty formulas are safe to use. This includes copper, metal, PVC, plastic pipes in sinks, septic tanks, or garbage disposals.
It’s important to know the different types of cleaners:
- Caustic cleaners – The most operable chemical is sodium hydroxide (lye) for dissolving the nasty gunk.
- Oxidizing cleaners – Use bleach, nitrates, and peroxides for a chemical reaction that breaks down the minerals.
- Acid cleaners – Should not be on this list, but I will discuss it anyway. These types of cleaners are unavailable to the public, only used by licensed plumbers. The acid could seriously injure or kill someone.
Although both manufacturers offer a few types of products, this article will cover the mentioned products feature only, followed by the pros and cons. The next sections are the similarities, differences, maintenance, preventions, and other general information. Lastly, the article will end with a final word from us.
The first product we will cover is the Liquid Plumr Pro-Strength Full Clog Destroyer Plus Pipe Guard. It boasts a 3-and-1 triple action formula. This product comes in a gold bottle with a striking on the front. It works great with slow-moving drains. The Pipe Guard formula leaves a repellent coating to prevent future draining issues.
This product is one of the best drain cleaners available right now on the market. You can find it by searching through the Health and Household categories.
It can be used with septic tanks, toilets, and garbage disposals. A heavy-duty formula travels through stagnant water and breaks up the sediments. Safe to use on copper, metal, and plastic pipes.
An unscented essence leaves the pipes clean without odors.
- 32 flu oz
- 80 flu oz
- 120 flu oz
Liquid Plumr Pro-Strength has phosphorous that produces foam upon making contact with the targeted sediments. It also reflects the toxicity levels thanks to the 3-and-1 action. However, this powerful, fast-acting product is absent from the following chemical irritants. This includes a dye, aluminum, phthalate, butyl-paraben, propyl-paraben, and Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES).
- Sodium hydroxide (lye) – A caustic agent found in soap that starts the cleaning process
- Sodium hypochlorite – A disinfectant purification bleaching formula responsible for removing odors
- Biodegradable surfactants – A chemical that assists with the cleaning
- Safe to use
- Could use as secondary treatment
- Cap is difficult to open.
- Toxic: Need to use gloves and eye protection goggles because the strong gel could cause burns upon contact with the skin
- There are not many real-world tests of this product.
Drano is the most famous drain cleaning brand in history. Everyone knows the name. It comes in a red bottle with professional action designs. Rated as number one in the Health and Household category on many websites, it’s the most-selling of all time.
It removes clogs but does not have any special formulas. I personally used this product with success after hours of waiting. This is mostly because I was busy manipulating the sink with a plunger, which lags the process.
Drano Max Gel Clog Remover is a gel-based formula that works quickly to remove blockages. It seeps down stagnant water and proceeds to eat up the sediments. This includes soap scum, hair, gunk, and grease. Safe to use on PVC, metal, plastic pipes in the kitchen or bathroom sinks, septic tanks, and garbage disposals.
The formula will apply lubrication to prevent future blockages. It also protects against corrosion. This product does not contain phosphorous, so no worries about toxic fumes. Feel comfortable leaving it in the sink overnight if you need to.
Moreover, there is a multitude of real-world tests available. One video literally shows the Drano Max Gel Clog Remover turning hair into slime! Wow, that works!
Ingredients (part of the SCJ Formula # 35*13008 exclusive to Drano®)
- Sodium hydroxide (lye) – Caustic agent that breaks down lipids
- Sodium hypochlorite – Reactive agent acting as a disinfectant to kill germs
- Sodium silicate – Corrosion inhibitor
- 32 flu oz
- 80 flu oz
- Protects against corrosion
- Nontoxic; eco-friendly
- Real-world tests show that this formula works
- Let this formula do its job. Do not use a plunger or pour water in the sink while the formula is busy working. Mixing bleach does not accelerate the process. It could take several hours to work to unclog if done improperly
- Cannot use as secondary treatment
Both are fast-acting liquid gels that take around 30 minutes to work to unclog a sink. They are safe to use in sinks, garbage disposals, toilets, and septic tank pipes. Some similar chemicals used in both formulas are sodium hydroxide and sodium hypochlorite.
|Product||Liquid Plumr Pro-Strength Full Clog Destroyer Plus Pipe Guard||Drano Max Gel Clog Remover|
|Works Best||Fully blocked drains||Slow-moving drains|
|Product Range||Triple Action/Pipe Guard||Does not have special features|
|Manufacturer||The Clorox Company||SC Johnson|
Precautions Using Drain Cleaners
Make sure to wear rubber gloves and eye protection goggles when handling any drain cleaner. Some could cause a burning sensation after hitting the skin, getting in the mucous membrane, or even the eyes. In the latter case, wash thoroughly with water. Also, contact the Center for Disease Control with the phone number on each bottle’s back to get help. Another rule is never to mix the toxic cleaners with other chemicals.
Keep drain cleaners away from children.
Only use as directed.
Both require pouring ⅕ of the bottle or ½ if you need to unclog the drains. Wait between 15 to 30 minutes. Finish off with hot water, preferably boiling.
How to Prevent Clogs – Sink Maintenance
Dispose of cooking oil properly – Always pour leftover cooking oil in a jar and dispose of it in the trashcan. Those lipid proteins will build over time and create blockages if poured down the sink.
Use a sink strainer – A sink strainer has small vents that capture leftover food particles.
Baking soda/vinegar – Pour baking soda down the drain followed by vinegar to keep the sink clean. Do this periodically throughout the year.
Liquid soap and hot water – Pour liquid soap followed by hot water down the drain. Do this periodically throughout the year.
Drain cleaners – Use drain cleaners periodically throughout the year.
Final Thoughts – Which One to Choose?
That concludes the battle between Liquid Plumr vs. Draino. Both are good at offering fast-acting formulas for breaking down sediments.
From our extensive research, The winner is Liquid Plumr.
It has a triple action formula, eats away at the gunk. The only bad thing is you cannot use it with other cleaners, but they’re not needed. Responsible adults need to take special precautions. The product costs a bit more but takes the guesswork out of unclogging a sink. Moreover, we’re not the only ones saying that this is a great product. It is best-selling everywhere!
- Liquid Plumr vs Drano – Which One to Choose? - November 15, 2021
- The Best Noise Reducing Curtains 2021 – Simple Way to Quiet Home and Style - November 11, 2021
- The Best Memory Foam Mattress for Side Sleepers (2021) - November 10, 2021