Maintenance and troubleshooting for Moen kitchen faucet
Moen kitchen faucets are an excellent choice for homeowners looking for quality and functional sinks. The units are not only stylish but also unique and appealing. However, just like any other product, the faucets are not faultless.
After several months of use, they might clog or loosen. That is why every homeowner needs to learn several maintenance tips for a better functioning unit. Learning how to remove the Moen kitchen faucet is a crucial skill, and that is why the article covers that and much more.
How one Can Remove Moen Kitchen Faucet
If thinking of how to remove the Moen kitchen faucet, then that should not worry you since it is something you can do on your own. To remove the faucet, start by loosening the nut that mounts the faucet on the lower side of your sink. You may need a basin wrench to work on the tight space comfortably, but you can also use pliers. Whichever you decide to use, you will still find it easy to remove it.
After loosening the nut, un-thread it using hands while pulling the faucet up and away from the sink top. Make sure you un-thread the faucet all the way. If the faucet comes with a sprayer attached to it, simply disconnect the nut that holds the sprayer hose. Once you do that, separate the nut that holds the sprayer to the sink. Besides, a clean sink top looks better after you install the faucet ready for work.
With the sprayer out-of-the-way, you can now remove the faucet from the sink. If you wanted to clean or install another one, you could simply clean the top deck for any dirt or stains. Dirt may accumulate at the base of the faucet, and that’s why cleaning the area is a great maintenance tip.
How one can remove a Moen Kitchen Faucet with Spray
- Step 1- Turning off the water supply
Before doing anything, always remember to make sure that your water supply is off. The tap is below the sink, but if you fail to trace it, turn off the main water supply.
- Step 2- Detach the supply lines
Trace the nuts connecting the pipes and the sprayer tubes. Make sure you undo the nuts. Most sinks come with two nuts on the sides, and so you need to get pliers for that. Once you undo the nuts, remove the lines now.
- Step 3- Removing the sprayer
Don’t spend time wondering How to Remove a Moen Kitchen Faucet with Spray. It is something you can do without looking for a plumber. Just loosen the hose below the sprayer handle. Once you do that, undo the nuts on both sides of the hose. After that, you can now pull away from the hose from the sprayer.
- Step 4- Remove the mounting nuts
It’s now time to find the mounting nuts. You can find them close to the back of the sink. The nuts come with plastic material, and so removing them is not hard.
- Step 5- Remove the faucet
Now, remove the faucet from your sink. It’s easy, but if you feel as if it is stuck, apply pressure to loosen it completely.
How to Easily Tighten a Loose Moen Kitchen Faucet Base
A loose kitchen faucet leads to leakages and may cut your sink’s functionality. This happens after continuous use. The following are steps on how to tighten a loose Moen kitchen base.
- Remove everything that may prevent you from accessing the supply valves at the rear side of the sink. To switch off the water, turn the valves clockwise.
- Open the faucet to cut the pressure found on the line running from the valve to the faucet. Once you do that, turn to the cabinet.
- The cabinet is usually dark, and you need to get a torch. Once you get the light, set the adjustable wrench to an equal size with your supply hose nut. The step is crucial in untying the nut that holds the lines to the faucet base inlets.
- Once the nuts are loose, use the basin wrench to tighten the nuts holding the sink base. Turn them clockwise on both faucets to make sure they are secure. Now, turn the valves to the lower side of the sink and place everything back to their earlier place.
- Now that the faucet is tight, reconnect the water line and turn on the supply valves to pass water to the faucet.
How to Easily Tighten Moen Kitchen Faucet Handle
The faucet handle may loosen after some months of use. Once they loosen, they may cause dripping or make it harder to turn the faucets on or off with ease. The following steps on how to tighten Moen kitchen faucet will help greatly.
- Before starting, make sure that the sink is free from anything that can hinder you from accessing the supply valves. After you do that, turn off the water that goes to the faucet.
- Examine the faucet handle depending on the model of the faucet; you may find a decorative cap or a set screw on the handle top.
- Slide the head wrench to the set screw, turn it clockwise until you feel it’s tight. Place the handle in a position that allows you to reach the set screw easily.
- If your sink comes with decorative caps instead of a set screw, take masking tape to cover the caps. After that, place a screwdriver beneath the cap to lift and remove the cap away from the sink handle. Look beneath the caps and trace the setscrew that you will use to tighten by turning the cap clockwise. Once you finish, it’s now time to replace the caps. After that, take away the masking tape from the handle.
- Finally, turn on the water supply and enjoy your sink.
How to Easily Clean Moen Kitchen Faucet Aerator
The dirty and clogged aerator may affect the faucet’s functionality. That is why we offer honest tips on how to clean Moen kitchen faucet aerator.
- Step 1- Do away with the aerator
Hold the aerator and move it clockwise to get it off the faucet spout. Sometimes the aerator gets stuck, making it hard to move. If that happens, you can use pliers and loosen it carefully.
- Step 2- Check if there are debris or deposits
With your little finger or a tiny screwdriver, check the inner side of the faucet for dirt deposits. If there is any sticking dirt, you may need to remove them with a screwdriver.
- Step 3- Disassemble the aerator to clean the parts
To disassemble the aerator, you need a toothpick. Note how the parts are to make it easier as you put them back. Rinse off any dirt, and if any blocked holes, clean them using a paper clip. A sewing needle can also work.
- Step 4- Immerse the parts vinegar
Immerse the screen and the parts of the aerator in vinegar to dissolve the dirt. You may leave them in there overnight, but still, you can soak them until the deposits are soft to get off with a toothbrush.
- Step 5- Rinse and put back the aerator
Rinse the aerator, keen to avoid water splashes. After that, reassemble the aerator to its original form.
How to take apart a Moen Kitchen Faucet
Moen faucets come in two styles. The older model has a handle that you need to pull out and push towards the bottom when controlling the water flow. On the other hand, the newer model only requires you to lift part of the handle to control the water flow. The newer model comes with more parts, and so disassembling it takes more time. This section shows you how to disassemble a Moen kitchen faucet.
- Step 1 – Find the set screw on the handle. You may find it on the anterior part of the faucet handle. If not, you can find it below the cap on the upper side of the handle.
- Step 2 – Scrub the cap on the handle using a screwdriver to make the screw visible if you need to do so.
- Step 3 – Loosen the set screw found on the middle
- Step 4 – Raise the handle to expose the cartridge with an indentation pointing up
- Step 5 – Once you raise the handle, remove the cartridge collar by simply pulling it up with your hands. By doing so, you expose, you expose the cylindrical cartridge top held by a U-clip.
- Step 6 – Hold the U-clip top with pliers pulling it straight out. After that, grab the cartridge top to pull it off. If it sticks, pull it harder.
How to Replace an O-ring in a Moen Faucet
If O-ring loosens or wears off, they may cause leakages or affect the water flow. To learn how to replace an O-ring in a Moen faucet, check the following tips.
- Step 1 – Before anything else, turn off the water that goes to the faucet. Some of them come with an individual valve below, while others need you to use the basement to reach the main valve to shut off.
- Step 2 – Using a utility knife, brush the cap at the center of the faucet handle. Once you do that, you get access to the securing screw. After that, remove the screw with a screwdriver.
- Step 3 – Pull off the valve to remove the handle. Reach the retaining nut and take it off with an adjustable wrench. Once you finish, the cartridge lifts away from the faucet body to expose the O-ring. Scrub the O-ring from the cartridge using a flat screwdriver.
- Step 4 – Apply grease generously on the new O-ring before putting it in place. Put back the faucet and the handle. Secure the faucet with a nut. Re-attach the handle with a screw and go back to the screw cap.
- Step 5 – Turn on the water and shut off the valve to make sure it does not leak.
With the above tips on how to keep up a Moen kitchen faucet, you will get a stress-free experience when using the sink.
- The Best Drain Cleaner Reviews - November 16, 2021
- Top 5 Best Vacuum for Stairs – Easy Clean for Carpeted Steps in 2021 - November 16, 2021
- 7 Best Vacuums for Pet Hair - November 16, 2021
Last update on 2021-11-16 at 22:25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API