You can really use a microwave oven, but you don’t have the space or the actual need for a traditional-sized one?
The good news is, there is a variety of small-sized microwave ovens on the market. They are meant for smaller kitchens, dorm rooms, RVs, boats, offices, as well as for people who live alone or cook for one or two only.
With a superb small microwave oven like the top-rated Comfee Retro oven, you can easily cook, reheat, and defrost foods and beverages, but without having to pay for a normal-sized appliance, and without it taking so much space on your countertop.
Here is a list of the best small microwave ovens for 2019 to choose from with all the dimensions and features you need to know about.
The best overall small microwave oven for 2019 is a beautiful and affordable 0.7 cubic foot appliance by Comfee.
This retro-style microwave will take up minimal space on the countertop or shelf. It is only 17.3(W) x 13(D) x 10.2(H) inches in size, and its internal dimensions are 12.05 x 11.97 x 8.11 inches. Its turntable is 10.04 inches in diameter.
The attractive retro-style design will look great in any kitchen or room. Plus, you can choose between the vibrant passionate red, the cream, and the pastel green color options.
The small-sized oven has 10 different power levels and a power output of 700 watts.
The 9 preset menus will allow you to quickly choose the perfect cooking settings for some of the most popular tasks and foods, like popcorn, veggies, beverage, pizza, meat, pasta, potato, soup or reheat.
Also, the mini microwave has a useful kitchen timer and clock.
It has an easy defrost function as well as an additional 30 seconds function.
The position memory turntable will reset it to its initial position after cooking, so you will know when it is safe to open the oven and take out your cup or plate out safely.
The small retro microwave has an energy-saving mode which will cut down standby power by 50%.
It also has a mute option so no sound is made when the cooking is done, and a child safety lock to keep your little ones safe.
This compact microwave can fit even in the tightest spaces, small dorm rooms, and RVs. It does require a minimum clearance of 3 inches on each side, and about 12 inches above it so keep that in mind before buying it for a very limited space.
Overall though, for this price, this aesthetically pleasing, and multifunctional, powerful little microwave is the best we could find on the market for 2019.
It has a 0.7 cubic foot cavity capacity and is 17.6 (W) x 10.2 (H) x 12.8 (D) inches in size, with a net weight of 19.5 lbs.
Its internal dimensions are 12.1 (W) x 8.3 (H) x 12 (D) inches. You can see what’s going on inside during the cooking or defrosting thanks to the bright internal light.
Apart from looking very stylish, the Daewoo KOR07R3ZEC microwave oven has everything you need, including 5 preset auto cook menus, 5 power levels, 2 defrost types (weight and time), and a recessed turntable.
Its power output is 700 watts, and it has an energy-saving mode, which automatically cuts off the power supply when the oven is not in use.
The oven is available in several pretty color options to fit well in any décor, including city blue, red, cream, and mint.
It also has a special Concave Reflex System and a Dual Wave feature which allows for even cooking and heating of any food or beverage to avoid hot or cold spots.
The small-sized oven has an internal light and a clear glass door so you can monitor the cooking without opening the door.
The runner-up has one of the best designs of all small ovens on our list, which is complemented by the stylish stainless steel details on the handle and control panel.
It is easy to use and is a pretty simple and affordable small microwave for small-sized kitchens and rooms.
Best budget-friendly option
The best budget-friendly small microwave oven this year is the 700 watt Hamilton Beach microwave. It costs less than $50 and yet has all the functions you will need from an average microwave.
The compact appliance is very easy to set and use, with 6 preset menu buttons and 10 power levels to choose from.
It also has the useful +30 seconds option and a quick 1 to 6 minute restart.
The microwave also has a child safety lock.
It is offered in red, white and black color, and has a simple design and an intuitive control panel with separate touch buttons for each feature, which will be easy to use by everyone.
It has a small footprint and an overall external size of 17.3 x 13.4 x 10.2 inches.
Overall, this affordable microwave oven by Hamilton beach is among the best compact microwaves you can find in this price range.
The rest of the best
This commercial countertop kitchen appliance is powerful and has multiple quick start programs, which makes its use intuitive and hassle-free.
- It is made for use in commercial settings such as hotels, offices, restaurants, and others
- Its external dimensions are 20 (W) x 16 (D) x 12 (H) inches
- The internal dimensions of the cavity are 13 (W) x 13 (D) x 8 1/16 (H) inches
- Being a commercial microwave it lacks a turntable which makes it easier to clean and allows for fitting larger plates and bowls
- The cavity has a capacity of 0.8 cubic feet
- The power output is 1,000 watts which is much more powerful than most other smaller microwaves
- It is made of durable stainless steel
- The weight of the appliance is 34 lbs.
- The rotating dial control allows for easy and hassle-free setting and use
- There are 10 preset cooking options
- The oven has a rugged build for heavy-duty use, and with few elements which can break down
- The interior and exterior are smooth and easy to clean, as required for its NSF rating for cleanability and safety
- There is an internal light and the door is see-through so you can monitor the food easily
- The heavy-duty door will withstand a lot of wear and tear
The Equator CMO 800 Combo is the ultimate space saver for small-sized kitchens and for busy families.
- The appliance combines microwave and oven functionalities
- It saves space and money for two separate cooking units
- The microwave has a power output of up to 700 watts
- The oven has an output of up to 1100 watts
- It has six auto cook options
- There is an auto cook timer for unsupervised cooking
- The auto weight defrost will allow you to defrost any type of food without a hassle
- It has pause and cancel buttons, as well as a child safety lock
- The size of the built-in combo oven is 15.4 (H) x 23 (W) x 13.75-14.7 (D) inches
- It comes with a trim kit
- Without the trim kit, it can be used as a freestanding oven and is 11.1 (H) x 18.75 (W) x 13.75 (D) inches
- The cavity capacity is 0.8 cubic feet
- The oven needs 3.2 inches clearance above, 1.75 inches clearance on the sides, and 7 inches clearance on the back of the unit to be built-in
- It comes with a 1 year warranty
- A sleek stainless steel design
- There are 10 power settings up to 700 watts
- A large LED digital display for easy setting, and a clock and timer
- The control panel is intuitive and easy to read
- The size of the oven is 17.3 (W) x 13.97 (D) x 10.17 (H) inches
- The cavity size is 12.05 x 11.97 x 8.11 inches
- The glass turntable is 10 inches in diameter and is removable
- It has 8 one-touch preset programs for potato, popcorn, soup, pizza, frozen vegetables, fresh vegetables, dinner plate, and beverage
- There is an express cook feature from 1 to 6 minutes
- The unit is also available in various larger versions, including 0.9, 1.1 and 1.4 cubic feet
- There is an easy to use defrost option
- A +30 button for increasing the cooking, reheating or defrosting time by half a minute
The LG NeoChef countertop microwave has a smart inverter function that will cook and heat the foods and beverages in it evenly at all times. With a 0.9 cu.ft. capacity, this is not the smallest of all microwaves on the list, but it is still more compact than the traditional units.
- It has a very sleek and modern stainless steel design
- The capacity is 0.9 cubic feet
- The diameter of the turntable is 11.5 inches
- The Smart Inverter will ensure that every part of the food or beverage is heated and cooked evenly
- The interior has an EasyClean feature and an anti-bacterial coating for microbe and stain resistance
- The controls are SmoothTouch glass touch with a keypad
- It has a hexagonal-shaped stabilizer ring which adds twice as much support and stability to the turntable than with regular microwaves
- The cavity has bright LED lighting
- The maximum output is 1000 watts, and there are 10 power levels to choose from
- There are 7 preset cooking options – potato, frozen entrée, fresh vegetable, frozen vegetable, rice, bacon, soften butter
- The 5 reheat options are – beverage, pizza, casserole, pie, and dinner plate
- There are 4 defrost options for meat, fish, poultry, and bread
- The external dimensions of the oven are 18 ¾ (W) x 10 11/16 (H) x 14 3/16 (D) inches
- The cavity is 12.7 (W) x 8.98 (H) x 13.19 (D) inches
- It is sold with a 1-year warranty
- The unit has a capacity of 0.9 cubic feet
- It is made of black stainless steel and has a modern design which will look great in any kitchen, room or office
- The external dimensions of the oven are 19.2 (W) x 15.9 (D) x 11.5 (H) inches
- The internal dimensions of the cavity are 12.36 (W) x 13.66 (D) x 8.7 (H) inches
- The turntable has a diameter of 10.6 inches
- It has 6 pre-programmed settings for popcorn, potatoes, pizza, frozen vegetables, beverages, and dinner plate
- It can defrost items by weight
- There are 10 power settings with a maximum of 900 watts
- The microwave also has a kitchen timer and clock
- It has a power-saving eco mode which minimizes the standby power by 50%
- The sounds and beeps can be turned on and off easily
- The interior has a bright LED light
- The exterior of the 0.7 cu.ft. unit is 17.7 (W) x 10.2 (H) x 12.5 (D) inches
- It is suitable for small kitchens, RVs, dorm rooms and others
- There are 10 power settings up to 700 watts
- The one-touch presets are for popcorn, soup, pizza, potatoes, frozen and fresh vegetables
- There is an add 30 seconds option
- The large LED display is easy to see and has a clock and timer
- It also has a child safety lock
- The automatic defrost option makes the food prep process fast and easy
- The cavity of the oven is 0.7 cu.ft.
- It has a small footprint
- There are no buttons to push, and the classic rotary dials are easy to use for people who are elderly or not too tech-savvy
- The retro design of the appliance is very attractive, and it is available in white, red and mint green colors
- It has 7 power settings and a maximum power output of 700 watts
- Its dimensions are 12.8 x 17.7 x 10.2 inches, and it weighs 22 lbs.
- The timer knob can be set up to 35 minutes
- It has an eye-catching vintage-style design
- It is available in retro red and aqua colors
- The capacity of the cavity is 0.7 cubic feet
- The unit has 12 pre-programmed settings for quick and easy use including popcorn, beverages, vegetables, frozen entrees, rice, potatoes, pizza, bread, chicken, fish, beef, and dinner plates
- The large round LED display is easy to see
- The oven has added sleek chrome accents, a door handle and control panel buttons, and dials which add to its pretty style
- The simple turn and push program dial is intuitive and easy to use
- It is 18 x 14.2 x 10.2 inches in size and weighs 23.7 lbs.
- The maximum output is 700 watts
- The oven is available in a 0.9 cubic feet capacity option as well
- A 0.9 cu.ft. capacity
- The power output is up to 900 watts, and you can adjust the power from 1 to 10
- Automatic and time defrost features
- The control lockout prevents accidental turning on and activation of the unit
- It has a useful kitchen timer and a 12hr. clock
- The touch controls are easy to use, and the large LED display makes using the appliance even easier
- It has 1-6 minute instant-on controls for express cooking
- The size of the turntable is 10.5 inches
- The pre-set controls are for dinner plate, beverage, popcorn, pizza, potato, vegetable and reheat
- It has an add 30 seconds function
- You can use it with the timer on and off
- The cavity is 13.7 (W) x 8.7 (H) x 12.4 (D) inches
- The external dimensions are 19 (W) x 11.5 (H) x 14.5 (D) inches
- It comes with a 1-year limited warranty
- The oven is offered in black, white and black stainless steel color options
- A cavity with a capacity of 0.7 cubic feet
- A maximum cooking power of 700 watts
- Very simple one-touch operation and controls
- The LED display is easy to read
- There are 10 power levels
- The defrost option can be used by time or weight
- The pre-set programs are for pizza, beverage, popcorn, baked potato, reheat, and frozen dinner
- It has a +30 seconds option
- There is a cook by weight and a speed defrost function
- The external dimensions of the microwave are 17.8 (W) x 10.1 (H) x 13.78 (D) inches
- The glass turntable is 9.25 inches in diameter
- It is available in black and white color options
- The price is affordable
Why you should buy a small microwave oven
As we all know, microwaves are incredibly nifty kitchen appliances that can handle a variety of tasks with ease.
The problem is, not everyone has enough space for a traditional, large-capacity microwave oven in their kitchen, RV, dorm room, office or other tight space. Plus, if you live alone or as a couple, a large-sized microwave is a waste of space and money.
This is why many of the leading manufacturers make and offer smaller-sized microwave ovens.
The features you should look for when choosing a small-sized microwave
When choosing a small microwave, you need to pay attention to certain features and details in order to make the best choice and to buy an appliance that will actually fit your available space and do what you expect it to do.
Here are the most important characteristics to keep in mind when shopping for a compact microwave oven:
Its footprint and external dimensions
Obviously, you will need to find an appliance that fits the available space you have allotted for it. Make sure you measure the space you have and keep in mind that the oven will need to have clearance of several inches on the side, and possibly more above – for ventilation.
If you are buying a built-in oven, check out the specifications of the manufacturer for the exact space requirements.’
Also, consider the space which will be required for the plug on the rear, and the space required for the door to be opened freely.
The internal dimensions
Usually, small microwaves have an internal capacity of the cavity of 0.7 cubic feet up to 0.9 cubic feet. While this is important, you should check out the exact internal dimensions of the oven to ensure that you can fit the bowls, plates, mugs, casseroles, popcorn bags, and other items you expect to fit in it.
Most of the microwaves we have picked have been designed to offer maximum cavity space while keeping the outer dimensions and the footprint as small as possible.
The power output
The power is measured in watts. Most small microwave ovens have a maximum power of 700 to 1000 watts. Keep in mind, that the higher the output is – the faster the cooking, heating or defrosting will be.
Also, check whether the microwave has adjustable power settings, so you can choose the heat level for the different meals you will be preparing.
These are pretty useful if you don’t want to spend time and effort adjusting the power level and the timer every time you use the unit.
Most of the ovens on the list have pre-integrated settings for the most common usages, like popcorn, dinner, potatoes, reheating and so on.
On the other hand, if you don’t like to use such settings, you can pick one of the microwaves with manual controls and rotary dials, so that you can adjust it every time just like you want to.
Ease of use
Depending on your technical skills and desires, you can choose among the easiest to use to the more complicated variants available on the market.
If you are experienced in microwave cooking, you may want to opt for an appliance that has more manual settings and options, while if you are not so familiar with these devices, you should opt for one which offers more straightforward settings.
Ease of cleaning
In order to make your life easier, check out how easy it will be to clean your microwave oven both from the outside and the inside. Some of them are specially designed to prevent staining and to make cleaning easier.
The fewer nooks and crannies there are – the easier it will be for you to keep the oven in a pristine and sanitary condition.
Removable turntables are easier to clean. Microwaves without turntables at all are the best option when it comes to cleaning.
The type of microwave
Most of the smaller microwave ovens are countertop models, but you can find smaller ones that can be built-in as well.
Always measure the cabinet space you have, and look for an appliance that comes with a build-in kit if you are planning to build it in.