Top-Rated Under Counter Microwave Reviews
Do you love the convenience of a microwave oven but do not have enough space for it in your kitchen or RV?
With one of these excellent under cabinet microwaves, which we have selected for you, you can have both a microwave oven and the free countertop space you need for food preparation and your other kitchen appliances.
Since there are so many microwave ovens which can be mounted under the cabinets, or in the place of your oven hoods, the choice of the best one could be pretty tricky.
This is why we present you with the best under cabinet microwave ovens for 2020.
Read on to find out more about their features, as well as their pros and cons so that you can choose the most suitable one for your needs and your available space.
The GE JNM3163DJBB is the top choice for the best under cabinet microwave for 2020. It is offered at a reasonable price, it has intuitive controls, and has a highly efficient two-speed venting system which will eliminate the cooking smells, steam and smoke from the microwave, or your oven.
This space-saving microwave oven has an output of 950 watts and a capacity of 1.6 cubic feet.
You can easily choose from one of the 10 available power levels, or adjust the temperature and time for cooking manually.
It has preset cooking options for the most popular tasks like popcorn, potatoes, reheating, or defrosting to eliminate the guesswork.
You can use it with the 12.5-inch turntable switched on, or without it.
This microwave can easily fit under the range, and save you tons of valuable countertop space in the kitchen, or your RV.
Overall, for this price, and with all these features, this is the best under cabinet microwave you can buy for 2020.
- A capacity of 1.6 cubic feet
- A 12.5-inch turntable which can be switched on or off
- 950 watts
- 2-speed efficient 300 CFM venting system and a charcoal filter kit to remove the odors and the smoke from the oven and the microwave
- Compact size, and space-saving design, it replaces the oven hood
- 6 preset settings for the most common tasks
- 10 available power levels, as well as a manual setting for the time and the temperature
- Defrosting by weight or time
- A kitchen timer and a digital clock
- An add 30 seconds option
- Scroll speed setting
- A reminder indicator
- The lights can be adjusted in brightens or turned off
- A sleek and modern black design
- An overall size of 15 7/8 (D) x 29 7/8 (W) x 16 7/16 (H) inches, and a weight of 56 lbs.
- A cavity sized 19 ½ x 10 15/16 x 14 3/16 inches
- It can fit cabinets up to 30 inches in width
- Sold at an affordable price with a 1-year warranty
- The vent can be loud on the highest setting
It takes up no countertop space and works perfectly as an oven hood and a microwave too.
This intelligent under cabinet microwave is a must-have for any modern kitchen, and for everyone looking for buying the best in this range.
- A gorgeous modern, stainless steel design
- 850 watts of power output
- It can be used as a microwave, a convection oven, as well as for broiling, baking, browning, roasting, and crisping
- Smart and easy to use sensor settings
- An interactive digital display with two colors for easy viewing
- 8 preset programs for the microwave functions – cooking, popcorn, reheating and others
- 12 preset convection programs including CompuCook and CompuDefrost
- The CompuRoast, CompuBroil and CompuBake programs will prompt the microwave to calculate the temperature and time needed for roasting, broiling, and baking via its smart sensors
- A 1.1 cubic feet capacity
- Even heating thanks to the 13-inch ceramic turntable
- Two cooking rack levels included for two-level roasting, baking, broiling or cooking
- A powerful exhaust fan and hood lights underneath the appliance
- The size of the microwave is 29 15/16 x 16 11/23 x 15 9/32 inches, and it weighs 72 lbs.
- The cavity is 13 13/16 x 8 1/16 x 17 1/8 inches
- It is sold with an industry-leading 10-year warranty for all of the major parts
- It is more expensive than most of the other over-the-range ovens on this list
The powerful Toshiba EM 131A5C-SS will allow you to cook just about anything faster and more efficiently than a traditional microwave or a regular oven.
It has a power output of 1100 watts and 10 power settings to choose from.
This under cabinet microwave is one of the best investments you can make if you are looking for a space-saving and yet powerful and feature-packed microwave for your kitchen.
- 1,100 watts and 10 power settings
- It has several pre-set microwave and sensor settings, including senor reheat, frozen pizza, frozen entrée, potatoes, rice, vegetables, custom cook, soften and melt, and popcorn
- The sensors detect the steam and humidity of the food and adjust the temperature and time accordingly
- A durable and modern stainless steel design
- Defrost by weight or custom
- A power-saving eco mode
- A child safety lock
- A buzzer which can be turned off completely
- Interior light for easy visibility
- The capacity of the oven is 1.2 cubic feet
- A 12.4-inch glass turntable
- The external dimensions of the microwave are 20.5 (W) x 17.1 (D) x 12.8 (H) inches
- It weighs 34.6 lbs.
- Easy to clean outside and inside
- An easy to grip, large handle
- A display with a clock and countdown kitchen timer
- It does not come with mounting equipment, because it is a countertop microwave which can be mounted under a cabinet but not necessarily
It has a capacity of up to 1.7 cubic feet, and an integrated 300 CFM exhaust fan with two speeds, so you can easily install it over your oven in the place of the oven hood.
The numerous auto features eliminate the guesswork when defrosting, reheating, and preparing some of the most common microwavable tasks.
This is an easy to use, and easy to install microwave which will save you a lot of time and kitchen space.
- 7 cubic feet capacity
- 1,000 watts
- More than 30 versatile options including snacks and chicken nuggets
- Easy reheating with a single touch of a button
- 3 auto defrost options (meat, fish, and poultry), and 5 snack options
- Separate popcorn, snack, veggie, and sensor buttons
- A 13.5-inch turntable which can be removed to make a place for the removable rack available for cooking food on two levels at once
- Easy to use controls and one-touch buttons
- A built-in exhaust fan with two speeds – 105 and 300 CFM
- Dishwasher safe grease filter, and charcoal filter
- A heat deflector and cooktop lights
- Stainless steel finish with a smudge-proof coating
- A safety child lock
- The audible signal can be switched off
- The dimensions of the oven are 29 7/8 (W) x 15 1/32 (D) x 16 13/32 (H) inches
- The cut-out dimensions of the cabinet for installing it are 30 (W) x 16 ¾-17 (H) x 12-14 (D) inches
- The cavity of the microwave is 20 15/16 (W) x 14 13/32 (D) x 9 7/16 (H) inches
- Some users have found the DIY installation process a bit tricky
With its full-width door for easy access to the interior, and for a more stylish and space-saving design, the Frigidaire UMV1422US is one of the best looking and most functional under cabinet microwaves for 2020.
- 4 cubic feet cooking capacity
- Full-width door for easy access to the cavity and a sleek look
- One-touch control buttons for easy use and setting
- 8 pre-set cooking and smart sensor options
- An add 30 seconds button
- The automatic reheating and cooking sensors will adjust the cooking temperature and time automatically
- A kitchen timer and clock which is easy to see and to set
- A soften and melt option
- The oven is made of elegant, durable and easy to clean stainless steel
- A large 13 5/8 inch turntable
- A 2-speed ventilation system and cooktop LED lighting
- Its size is 12 7/8 (W) x 16 3/6 (D) x 17 (H) inches
- It is on the higher end when it comes to price
It has a cleverly hidden control panel behind the door, which is still easy to access and use.
The microwave has a larger turntable than all others in this class – one with a diameter of 14 1/8 inches.
- Very modern design and hidden yet easy to access controls
- 1000 watts of power and 11 cooking power levels
- The largest turntable in its class – 14 1/8 inches which can cold dishes and casseroles sized 9 x 13 inches
- An easy to view and read digital display
- A Smart and Easy sensor technology
- 11 sensor cooking programs including 11 for cooking, 4 for reheating and 1 for popcorn
- 4 defrost options and 3 instant action controls
- 5 cubic foot capacity
- A 2-speed ventilation fan, and high or low work lights on the bottom of the unit
- The size of the microwave is 29.9 (W) x 16.3 (H) x 15.5 (D) inches
- The cavity is 17.5 (W) x 9.9 (H) x 14.9 (D) inches
- It weighs 55 lbs.
- It is sold with a mounting kit and instructions
- Offered with a 1-year warranty, and 6 years for the Magnetron tube
- Some users complain that the push button for opening the door may warp from the heat over time
The Dacor DMW2420S is another premium quality appliance, which you can use as an under cabinet microwave, or as a countertop one, depending on your preferences, and your available space.
It is designed to be convenient, modern, and stylish at the same time.
It is powerful, easy to use, and has pre-set options and sensors, which will eliminate almost all of the guesswork when you are using this microwave oven. Plus, it has a generous cavity capacity of 2 cubic feet
- A very stylish and modern design, which will become the accent of any kitchen
- 1,100 watts of power for faster cooking and reheating
- 6 preset settings, including breakfast, lunch, 15-minute recipes, beverages, from the pantry and defrost
- A sensor technology which will adjust the temperature and time automatically for popular microwave programs and foods, including popcorn, fresh vegetables, reheat, rice, frozen entrees, ground meat, baked potatoes, poultry, fish and seafood
- Quick defrost of poultry and meat by weight
- The microwave can be used as a standalone countertop microwave or a built-in under cabinet microwave
- A 2 cubic ft. capacity suitable for large families
- There is a timer with an auto-start option
- There is a 30 minute keep warm function
- A quick 1-minute cooking option
- Its size is 24 (W) x 13 3/8 (H) x 19 1/8 (D) inches
- Sold with a 2-year limited warranty
- It is more expensive than some of the others
Features to look for when buying an under cabinet microwave
When choosing the best under cabinet microwave for your needs, there are several important characteristics you need to take into consideration, in order to ensure you are making the right choice.
Here are the main features to keep in mind when shopping for an over the range microwave oven:
Most probably, if you are buying an under cabinet microwave, then saving space on the kitchen countertop is one of your main concerns.
Make sure that you measure your cabinet, where the oven hood is installed, or the cabinet where you are planning to mount the microwave oven, in order to ensure that the one you pick will fit the allotted space.
Choosing the size of the cavity depends on the types and sizes of the meals you are planning on preparing. There are microwave ovens with small capacities of 0.5 cubic feet and other which have much larger ones, of up to 2.2 cubic feet.
Measure the dishes, casseroles and other cookware you want to use, and also consider the number of people in the household that you will be feeding when choosing a microwave with an appropriate capacity.
The power and cooking options
Take note of the wattage and the power of the microwave oven, in order to get an idea of how fast and efficient it is for cooking, defrosting, reheating and other functions.
The higher the wattage, the more powerful the appliance will be.
Also, take note of the power levels which the microwave has. Some foods need higher temperatures to be cooked properly, while other functions require medium to low power settings.
Ground beef, fish and some other foods require higher power levels, while medium power is suitable for roasting meat, braising, slow cooking, reheating or cooking casseroles or poultry.
The lower power levels are useful for defrosting, simmering, and softening butter, chocolate, as well as for keeping the food warm.
The type of microwave you need
Some traditional microwaves can be used only for heating, reheating, defrosting, making popcorn, and other favorite foods prepared in such appliances.
Others are more advanced and offer convection cooking, options for baking, broiling, roasting, browning or crisping different foods and meals.
If you are planning to use the microwave as an alternative to a traditional oven, then it is recommended that you choose a more advanced one with more cooking options and settings.
If you are going to use it for making popcorn and heating up cocoa or other beverages and meals, then you can opt for a simpler and less expensive under cabinet microwave.
The vent and exhaust options
Since you will be mounting the microwave under a cabinet, and most commonly over your oven, then it will need to have a good exhaust vent and fan to remove the cooking smells, smoke and steam when you are using it or the oven underneath it.
Over the range microwaves are designed to be installed in the place of the oven hoods and should be able to offer an alternative to them – with efficient exhaust and venting, and with lights underneath to light up the stovetop or the surface underneath them.
The best ones have both external and interior fan exhausts, and the standard for most fans for this type of microwave is 300 CFM.
Most of the high-quality over-the-range microwaves have powerful fans with two or more speed options. Some also have removable and dishwasher safe grease filter on the bottom, charcoal filters, cavity lights, night lights and other features which are useful to keep the kitchen clean, sanitary and free of cooking odors and smoke.
The design matters not only for aesthetical reasons but also for the ergonomics, ease of use, and the safety of the microwave.
It is always helpful to get a microwave oven, which is easy to clean both on the outside and on the inside.
Also, one with a child safety lock is a must if you want to keep your small kids safe and away from the appliance.
Some of the over-the-range microwave ovens have versatile designs which allow for using the turntable, or for switching its rotation off and using the racks inside instead.
If you are sensitive to noise or plan on using the microwave when the other people at home are sleeping or resting, you should opt for one which allows for switching the audible buzz or signal which sounds when the time is up altogether.
Also, the materials used for making the microwave are essential. If you want your appliance to serve you for a long time, then opt for a higher quality under cabinet microwave made of sturdy materials and with a reliable and durable design.
The ease of use and the preset programs
Most microwaves come with preset programs for the most commonly used meals, beverages, and functions used. Usually, a microwave will have a preset option for making popcorn, potatoes, pizza, frozen veggies, beverages, and others.
Simpler microwaves have defrost settings that can defrost the food by its weight, by time, or via integrated sensors which will adjust the time and temperature automatically for you.
Some of the higher-end models have over 30 preset options for a wide variety of meals and cooking options.
Some have state-of-the-art touch screens, one-touch buttons, and digital controls, while others are more traditional and have dials or other mechanical controls.
The controls should be easy to understand, reach, and use if you want to be able to use the microwave without wondering whether you have got the settings right every time.
Choose an appliance that you will feel comfortable using.
Last update on 2020-09-24 at 17:14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API